Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3D Modeling

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Roy Wyatt, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Roy Wyatt

Roy Wyatt New
    Builder

I'm trying to find out if there is a 3D Modeling product available that would allow me to copy the image of an existing object and then be able to read the code generated into a CNC Router, where an exact copy would be created. Please advise! PS The product must be somewhat affordable. Thanks

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Not quite sure what you mean, but ESTLCAM has a PROBE section, whereby it will scan, by physically probing many areas of a hard object to produce a 3D image to be used to generate Gcode for cutting.

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What type of image? If it is a vector image and you want to engrave the image on a plaque, then yes there is software available. I use Fengrave by Scorchworks and it is free. If you are talking about taking an image of a 3 dimensional object and being able to replicate it, then no. At least not that I am aware of. With some Vectric software versons, you can take existing 3D models in .stl format and carve them. Aspire | Vectric

For carving pictures there is this: Vectric Forum • View topic - Converting a photo into a low-relief 3d carving.

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Roy. Hi.
    I was thinking of this video:

I hope it will help.

5. GlavanicSC

Builder

If I understand you correctly, you need something like MeshCAM software

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

MeshCAM will work to generate the gcode. You still need to create the 3D file in some sort of CAD file, or purchase the model file. That being said, Fusion 360 (is free) and Estlcam ($60 for the paid version) can do the same thing. But, according to the CNC Cookbook, MeshCAM is the World's Easiest CAM. So, if you are new and want to spend the money, it may be right for you. I have never tried it so I can not speak to its usability.

7. GlavanicSC

Builder

According to cnczone.com free 3D design software that works with MeshCAM are Blender, AlibreXpress etc, but I think you can use almost any good CAD software

8. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer

I've used Tinkercad to make 3d STL files, which Estlcam can make cam with, worked out well, takes some practice and fiddling but doable. Tinkercad is very simple to use.

Attached Files:

9. GlavanicSC

Builder

FreeCAD and Fusion 360 are good choice also, from my personal experience