Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3d model from jpeg

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Steve mehrlich, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Steve mehrlich

Builder

hi

can anyone point me in the best direction of trying to create a 3d cherub to repair on old chair for my father in law as per the attached image ? i plan to carve it on my cnc router using fusion.
    ideally copy and mirror the right hand one providing i can get the scale right or make it slightly over sized for trimming before fitting.

any help appreciated.

cheers

steve

Attached Files:

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I do not know how to do it, and it would be a significant learning curve for a one time project. That being said, I have a friend that makes beautiful custom 3D carvings for retirement plaques and other things. He will hire someone using Fiverr and has gotten some phenomenal work done for around $45. Not this person in particular, but here is an example. https://www.fiverr.com/tanvir_ahmed...=auto&funnel=9adb926564382d4f8dc2902a03ca89f0

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

If it were me and I had access to the object in question, I'd use photogrammetry.

4. Steve mehrlich

Builder

rob have you just made that word up?

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Hahaha, sounds like it, I know. But it's the process of either a) using light from a variety of projected angles and patterns or b) using flat, diffuse light and taking many pictures from different angles, then processing the results with software into a textured (which you wouldn't need) triangulated mesh. You could then model or sculpt directly on that mesh to "repair" any chips or defects in the original piece, scale it, flip it in X, then CAM it. It's a learning process that depends how comfortable you already are in poly modeling 3D (ie. not CAD), but the results can be near-perfect reproductions of existing objects. It's not quite laser scanning, but it's close.

Rick 2.0 likes this.