Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3018 pro Woodpecker controller-controller or motor issue

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by ulav8r, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ulav8r

ulav8r New
    Builder

New member here, retired manufacturing enginneer, have programmed machining centers and lathes. Acquired this cnc router/laser engraver for hobby use, mostly by my wife.

Acquired this machine off Amazon. Had an issue that the seller took care of quickly. Then started running programs without actually cutting. Had another issue and the seller(Chinese) has not responded, possibly because of the pandemic.

Current problem: x axis was moving as it should then stopped and made a noise like grinding gears. Tried moving with the offline controller, it moved a little, then moved in the opposite direction to what it should, then made the grinding noise again but would not move. Doesn't matter whether I try to move the x axis right or left, I just get the grinding noise and the motor vibrates but does not rotate. I have no idea whether it is a control board or motor problem, though I did replace the control board and the problem continued.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nah. The pandemic has nothing to do with Chinese online sellers not responding. :)

That being said, have you checked all the wiring for shorts? This is often the case for for motors acting up like that. There may be one loose wire.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. ulav8r

ulav8r New
    Builder

Checked everything I could. I quit for a while and have not gone back to it. next thing I will do is try connecting the y axis motor to the x axis wire and see if maybe it is the motor instead of the controller.