Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1mm off when cutting

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by szalonewrzeciono, Dec 10, 2018.

1. szalonewrzeciono

Builder

So after some time I'm back here to let you know how the problem was solved..

After my last posts here I tried also another USB cable with ferrite filtering, measured spindle wobble etc...... but whatever I did my cutted pieces were always 1mm off, no matter if piece was 10x10mm or 1000x1000mm.

Solution: I did reinstallation of Windows 10 on my laptop.. after reinstallation the problem just disappered.. No clue what Windows had in common with it, but helped.

Giarc and GrayUK like this.
  2. berin camelia

Builder

I think I can answer your problem. I found an error in ESTLcam. I have tried to contact the creator and I have been totally ignored. ESTLcam has a bad software error/glitch in it how ever you want to describe it. szalonewrzeciono You reinstalled windows which means you reinstalled ESTLcam. this means everything went to defaults and you likely had NOT changed any settings or added any new tools to the tool list etc.. when you did your tests. HERE is the answer to your *** PROBLEM. because I had the same issue. Estlcam is produced by a guy in the UK, in the uk everything is metric.. GO FIGURE the guy setup estlcam with a #@%!@#$ issue that I called the maker out on. If you set the measurment system to metric in ESTLcam it will auto round your TOOL bits UP. so lets say you use a 1/8th pick a bit end mill and you type in 3.125 it will automatically round it to 3.13 in the tools list. IF you leave estlcam to its default when you install it which is set to the standard measurement system. a 1/8 bit is 0.125 and it stays at 0.125. I have sent a few emails to the maker of ESTLcam and he has responded to all my emails EXCEPT for this issue. SO be aware estlcam rounds the tool bit sizes UP if you set ESTLcam to use the metric system.

3. szalonewrzeciono

Builder

@berin camelia I did reinstallation of both Windows 10 and Estlcam. Look at the subject of this post - "1mm off". I do not think so it would had something in common with difference between 3.125mm and 3.130mm bit. it's only 0,005mm difference... hard to notice when considering machinning on machines like we're using here.

Another possibility to have always the same difference in dimensions of elements is the belt and its flexion.

The author of ESTLCAM is from Germany, not UK.

4. szalonewrzeciono

Builder

1/8" bit is 3.175mm, not 3.125. Check what you typed in Estlcam :)

Giarc likes this.