Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1510 software help

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Philip Browne, May 31, 2020.

1. Philip Browne

Builder

1. We uploaded this SVG file below onto openbuilds cam following the tutorial Hello World. Firstly the Tool Path and G Code as per the Tutorial does not configure automatically. Can someone help me with this. When you click on cam instructions the page shows 404 page not available or has been deleted.
    upload_2020-5-31_16-3-8.png
    2. After hours of playing I have managed to get to the stage below. Can someone please tell me how I can set the depth of the cut?

upload_2020-5-31_16-9-40.png

3. Can someone please advise explain below?

upload_2020-5-31_16-14-43.png
    upload_2020-5-31_16-12-40.png

Attached Files:

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I believe, you set the depth of cut for each tool path when creating the tool path. You set depth per pass and final (total) depth. see arrow below:
    cam.png

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

4. Philip Browne

Builder

Hi Peter Van Der Walt. We are using SVG image, not 2D DWG file. I have posted a screenshot with SVG image to see if somebody can spot any incompatibility. Please let me know your thoughts.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Same concepts apply. Do read the article, valuable information!
    Whatever the file format for a CNC it has to meet certain criteria
    - ideally no open ended vector (closed vectors can be used to calculate a "surface" which can then be offset to calculate toolpaths, pockets, etc from
    - open ended vectors can only be engraved
    - SVG contains various types of entities, all of which can be converted to paths - CNCs need Paths. Forgot to change your Elipse to a Path, then many CAM applications will misinterpret it. Convert it to paths in your Inkscape/Illustrator/whatever SVG editor you use, and you'll increase its compatibility with most CAM's 100x over

Rather upload the SVG - from the screenshot I can see the lines around the sun, the grass, the waves, the wings, etc are all open ended vectors! (lines versus shapes)

CAM tries to close the shape (as often a square for example could have its start and endpoint just slighly, say 5 decimal precision, away from each other - so it does its best to close start and end points.
    Thats why theres lines crossing over each other as it tries to close start to end (on open lines that shouldnt exist as those arent CNC friendly entities)

Do read the article linked, you'll learn the difference between a "cuttable" vector and a "picture"

6. Philip Browne

Builder

How do I get the CNC to cut lines as per the drawing. The lines are 11mm deep and after it is cut the lines are inlayed with another colour to make the image stand out..

7. Philip Browne

Builder

Please bear with me as I am an absolute novice. In my thinking if I wanted to cut the number 1 then that would be a line?

8. Philip Browne

Builder

All I will ever want to do is cut line drawings with the CNC

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Then you'll need software optimised for that kind of work: Ie:

Vectric VCarve and Aspire has single line v-carving support

10. Philip Browne

Builder

Thanks for your feedback. Before I tackle a different software can somebody help me to identify if there is anything else I am possibly doing wrong. Please find below my step by step working process.
    First of all, I have run 'Hello World' image through my CNC and it worked fine. What format the 'Hello World' image is please as I need to compare it with the image I am trying to work with. I have a feeling that the image I am trying to upload isn't in the correct format.
    1. Uploading image. My designer emailed me this image in SVG as well as in DWG. When I am trying to upload the DWG image, the CNC software doesn't recognise DWG image, only SVG
    upload_2020-6-1_14-53-51.png
    2. So I upload the SVG image and set the Toolpath parameters
    upload_2020-6-1_14-56-27.png
    upload_2020-6-1_14-56-57.png

3. Then I click on 'Generate a GODE' and receive red alert message:
    upload_2020-6-1_15-0-0.png

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Format is totally irrelevant in this case! DXF and SVG both describe paths -- what matters is how its drawn. I can send you several bad DXFs with open vectors too that wont work...

Look at the visual differences. Closed paths (start of line meets end of line) all over Hello World!

Look at your bird - gap between the legs, and under the mouth. Sun has lines for beams thats an open vector (line = start and end at opposite ends), the grass, water, legs are all single ended lines!

Reply back with "Refer to From CAD to CAM, Cleaning up 2D DWG files for CNC. and What is an open or closed vector?" - he needs to learn how to make CNC friendly files then. At least if you want to use FREE CAM :)
    If you want to engrave single lines, you NEED Vectric! :)

OpenBuilds CAM is a very basic, free tool for cutting out shapes :) -think making parts, not drawings