Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1010 new build problem with "home all"

Discussion in 'DrawBot' started by AllanArt, Dec 29, 2019.

1. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

Still working my way thru special pen plotter app based on acro 1010. Set everything up per videos. x limit sw on left side of X axis. Y limit sw at front right corner. Loaded pre set "acro 1010" in Grbl settings in Control software. X Direction switch in settings is set to reverse direction. X Gantry moves to the left (in the direction of x lim sw) with manual "-X" jog. Gantry moves forward with manual "-Y" jog. Able to set and successfully search to a new marked zero point within the XY frame. Machine successfully traces a counter clockwise rectangle with the "check size" button. Machine moves in a clockwise path for a single test gcode polygon in work space. All good so far - I think. But when I press "Home All" machine screws up. X gantry goes right instead of left in the +X direction, away from the X limit switch and bangs into the right side, tearing at the timing belt if I don't stop it in time. Why?

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Homing direction is a separate setting from direction switch - see;
    High Z Mod for Lead CNC
    You probably need to change the mask for $23.
    Alex.

3. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

That worked - Thx. One minor quirk I noticed with the limit switch routine. After the limit switch trips, it slowly travels back in the + direction to un-trip the switch, then moves ever so slightly minus again, touching the microswitch arm ever so slightly without tripping it. The local red LED on the sw is not lit. At this point there is no problem sending the machine on a new task. However, sometimes when I mouse click the manual jog from this position, for either X or Y, it will not move and put up an error msg instead. After clearing the msg, either X or Y as the case may be, it will jog properly in the plus direction upon a second try mouse click jog. In other words, it appears the system does not always like the way the axis moves away from the slight pressure placed on the limit switch arm - but only in the manual jog mode. Never happens when the next move is a machine task. Is that normal?

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Increase the pull-off distance slightly - $27.
    Alex.

Gary Caruso likes this.
  5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Might need to set your
    Beat me too it!
    Set home pull off ($27) larger than 2mm, try 5mm.

Cheers
    Gary

6. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

$27 was set to 5mm. I set it to 6mm and it solved the home bounce-back problem - Thx. But I have a new problem this today. Working with the same simple gcode test file I made in Inscape - a closed 5-sided irregular polygon shape made in Inkscape with pen leg-by-leg - which is placed in the upper right corner of a 300mm x 300mm frame as defined in Inkscape - now when I load this same gcode file in to Control, "Check size" outlines an area 1/10th the size as before. Around 30mm x 30mm. Likewise when I "run" the job it traces a tiny polygon also about a 1/10th the size as it should be. (this is approx as I have not gotten to the design and installation of an actual pen holder yet). This was not the case yesterday. Yesterday the dry run operation looked to be approx in scale. The only difference today is I rebooted the system and changed $27 to 6mm, updating the firmware as required. That's it. I did not play with any other parameter. How and why would Control suddenly shrink the work area by a factor of 10? BTW - is there a way to keep the user help dialog boxes from timing out - on a Mac? They fade out too fast. One more thing - is there is place in Control where it acknowledges the name of the gcode file loaded? Thx