Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1000x1000 sphinx linear rail build

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by MapleCreekVermont, Jun 18, 2023.

1. MapleCreekVermont

Builder

Hello all. So much great info on here and some really incredible builds. I am planning my first cnc router build and I want to put some thoughts out there and gather any feedback, tips, criticism ect before I start ordering parts.

I have experience running a 4x8 Laguna smart shop M and know the cad/cam to go along with the type or work I do. Wood working stuff. I am looking to build a smaller yet capable machine for my home shop.

My basic idea is a 1000x1000 sphinx style machine utilizing mgn12 linear rails and the plates from Chris at Blue OX Solutions Deluxe 3" taller/12" Linear Rail Thick Sphinx CNC Plate Set (seen at Openbuilds) | eBay

Is there any concerns with enlarging the Sphinx to the 1000x1000 size? Any other downsides or considerations to factor in with that machine? What is a good source for quality 1000mm mgn12 rail and carriage that won’t break the bank?

Any other tips for a first time cnc build?

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. MapleCreekVermont

Builder

Is there a plate available to build that machine with MGN12 rail instead of V Wheel or an example of someone doing so? Thanks.

4. JoeTorelli

Builder

5. gary bergin

Builder

im building a sphinx 500x500 with rails as well can you walk me thru the process of getting the rails aligned? thank you

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I clamped a dial indicator to a 6.35 mm scrap of aluminum plate that ran in the slot of the vslot rail. I tightened the first screw, went to the next with the dial indicator and repeated until I was at the other end. In this video I am measuring from the 80mm edge to the side of the linear rail which i mounted on the 40mm edge of the Cbeam. I had no issues aligning mine. I used M4 drop in tnuts that rotate in the Vslot.
    upload_2024-3-30_18-30-11.png

They pretty much align the linear rail automatically. I had very little adjustment to do.

If you do not have a dial indicator, put a screw through a threaded piece of flat aluminum plate. Tighten your first linear rail screw. Place the plate on the edge of the Vsolt and tighten the screw through the plate until the screw touches the side of the linear rail where the linear rail screw is that you just tightened. Move to the next linear rail screw and tighten it ensuring that the linear rail is touching the screw that goes through the plate that you move along the vslot to each linear rail screw position. The screw through the plate sticks out at a constant length so the rail should be aligned properly.

#6 Giarc, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024