Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1/2" collet mod?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Trent Paulk, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Trent Paulk

Builder

Just wondering if anyone offers a mount for the Lead 1010 to hold a bigger router with a 1/2" collet?
    Or has anyone ever machined their own mount for a bigger router?
    I did a quick search on the forum here but came up with nothing.

2. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

If your looking to go to a 1/2” shank, why not go to a true spindle rather then a router? They are quieter, more precise, better speed control, etc. an ER20 spindle will accept up to a 13mm shank, so just over a 1/2”.. I run a 2.2kw spindle and have used up to a 1/2”..

As for a router mount.. a quick search found this one. Just do a quick search for 3.5” CNC spindle mount..

Porter-Cable 892 Mount

this will work.

3. Trent Paulk

Builder

That’s a great idea. I especially like the “quieter” aspect that you mentioned. Any particular brands you’d recommend for the spindle?

4. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

There are many. I bought a “cheap” Chinese spindle. And am quite happy with it! I bought it from Bulkman3d. It’s a Huanyang spindle with VFD. 220v.

And quiet is an understatement. I run the water cooled version, and can cut aluminum with a 1/4” 2 flute end mill and keep the nose levels under 83db which makes the Dr daughter very happy. (She’s an audiologist. And keeps giving me a hard time if I am exposed to high noise levels.)

5. Trent Paulk

Builder

Which router frame is your spindle mounted in? Lead 1010?

6. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I don't know what kind of spindle Netechsys has but some spindle are square with the mounting holes in the housing and some are a round barrel which require mounting clamps. Mine is the former and is screwed strait to the plate.

7. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

IMO it will be too heavy and powerful for a lead1010, you will never use the potential of this size spindle, 1/4" bits are plenty big for these frames.
    Again this is my opinion.
    Gary

Alex Chambers likes this.
  8. Trent Paulk

Builder

Thanks Gary, Good info. I was kind of thinking that may be the case. I wasn’t planning on going any bigger than 1/2” cutting diameter. I just wants to go with a longer bit to do some deep pockets.

9. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

I have a round spindle. So it takes the 80mm spindle mount. And have to agree with Gary, that a standard lead will not be able to use to its full potential with a 1/2” bit.
    As for weight. It will handle it just fine.

For the deeper pockets. I’d be more worried about the bit deflection. Depending on material and doc. But nice thing about these machines is a huge amount of upgrades and possibilities.

10. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

You can easily find long length end mills. You don't need a larger diameter to achieve that. A 1/4" long length end mill can still handle enough load without deflecting more than the machine itself.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  11. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can get longer bits for 1/4". Kodiak Cutting tools makes them in the USA and they cost the same as if you try to source the same size/specs from China. Here is a 4" long 1/4" diameter Long Length Carbide End Mills | 2 Flute Long Series End Mills. I recently bought a bunch of extra long ball nose endmills for deep 3D relief carves. Can't make my Chewie Tiki without them. :)
    chewie.jpg
    Also, you can get precision collets from Elaire Corporation - Dewalt Router Collets. I have 1/8" through 8mm for my Makita and it was well worth the money. If you want longer ones for pocketing, get the 8mm. You can easily come by 8mm (and 5/16" or 7.9375mm) endmills but the shipping time can be a little long. I used 8mm for roughing out the Chewie Tiki and it sped the job up dramatically. It is 400mm by about 250mm and 60mm thick.

I have been able to find 1/4" endmills up to 6" (150mm) long.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Isn't there a Hitachi, nay Metabo, router that has some mounts available for it? M12VC? Quiet for a router by all accounts.