Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

“used” X-Carve kit or new OpenBuilds Lead 1010 when it is on sale?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Fred Walter, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Fred Walter

Builder

I have someone local that is selling a X-Carve kit (never built, everything is still in the boxes) for around $1350 US dollars. However there is no guarantee that everything is there, and there is no guarantee that everything that is there is in good working condition. He says that the kit was purchased in October 2019, and that I can open all the boxes to make sure that everything is there (assuming the kit came with a manifest). I don’t know this person, I’ve only exchanged messages with him on kijiji.

A new OpenBuilds Lead 1010, during their Black Friday sale, wouldn’t have cost me all that much more. Boxing Day is coming up, and presumably they will have a Boxing Day sale.

When I look on youtube, and the inventables forums, I see a lot of people posting about using X-Carves, and a lot of people are upgrading their X-Carves to increase the stiffness/rigidity/etc using OpenBuilds parts. When I send email to inventables, they respond in a timely fashion, and answer my questions. I see a lot of references to the inventables excellent customer support.

When I look on youtube, and the openbuilds forums, I don’t see a lot of people posting about using their machines. However, I don’t see anyone needing to upgrade their machine to increase the stiffness/rigidity/etc. I have never gotten a response to any of the messages that I’ve sent to openbuilds using their "contact us" form. Which is why I didn’t buy a Lead 1010 during the Black Friday sale - I sent a number of messages asking various questions. (I still haven’t gotten a response to any of my messages.)

I really like how easy it seems to be to use the X-Carve. And I really like that they seem to have excellent customer support. However all these people upgrading their X-Carves using openbuild parts makes me wonder if I shouldn’t just get a Lead 1010 to start with, when they are on sale.

I'm assuming here that openbuilds will have a Boxing Day sale as good as the one they had on Black Friday.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you check your spam folder in your email for responses? For some reason, that is where the Openbuilds emails automatically go in my gmail account. So, when I email them, I always check all the folders in my in box for replies. They have fantastic customer service from my experience.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Fred Walter

Builder

> Did you check your spam folder in your email for responses? For some reason, that is where the Openbuilds emails automatically go in my gmail account.

I used my gmail email address i the "contact" form... I always have hundreds of emails in my gmail spam folder, so I never check there. And I periodically empty it so I cannot check if that is where the emails did go...

One of my questions was roughly "what would I add to a Lead 1010 order so that I could build it 1000mm X 500mm so it would fit on my work table". I didn't want to cut down any parts because at some point I want to have a bigger work table, at which point I would just replace the smaller parts with the original parts.