OpenBuilds Sphinx 55 - 20" x 20" Specs:
OpenBuilds Sphinx 55 Machine Parts Bundle please click here.
OpenBuilds Sphinx 55
20"x20" (500x500) Lead Screw
The OpenBuilds Sphinx Machine is based on the
C-Beam Sphinx by OpenBuilds Member, Kyo.
The Sphinx is a super strong and accurate easy to assemble CNC machine and a favorite here on OpenBuilds. It takes advantage of the inside tracks of the C-Beam linear rail using Xtreme Mini Solid V Wheels and utilizes the top of the rail with full size Xtreme Solid V wheels.
"We would like to thank OpenBuilds community member Kyo for the design efforts put into the awesome machine known as The Sphinx! Many builds have been inspired from it and Kyo took it to the next level with a great video build to accompany his already great electronics setup tutorial videos." -Mark Carew
The OpenBuilds Sphinx Bundle is available in two sizes.
- The Sphinx 1050 has a footprint of about 40" x 20" (1000mm x 500mm)
- The Sphinx 55 has a footprint of about 20" x 20" (500mm x500mm)
Materials this machine can cut and carve
MDF Spoiler Board Size:
- Woods Hard/Soft
- much more...
H 3/4" (19mm) W 19.5" (500mm) L 16.250" (410mm)
Assembly time : Can be assembled in an afternoon.
* Build Video Link Sections
Build Video of the OpenBuilds Sphinx 55
Jump in and when you complete this easy and fun step by step build-along video you will have an awesome 3 Axis CNC router for your garage or work shop.
Click below for different chapters of the Video Build
Wiring Build Video of the OpenBuilds Sphinx 55* Electronics:
OpenBuilds Sphinx 55 Wiring Kit
Please note: There are many different options for controller/driver packages that can be used to control your machine so be sure to explore all the controller options and pick the one that works for your needs.
The board we are using:
CNC xPRO Driver (All in one grbl controller/driver board)
Please see wiring diagram for this machine below
- We use the free SketchUp Make for our CAD (makes the 3D model parts)
- We use the free OpenBuilds CAM plugin/extension for our CAM (Works up the cut lines and makes the GCODE for the parts)
- We use the free OpenBuilds CONTROL for the controller (Allows you to control your machine and sends the design to the machine)
Mods and Upgrades
*GRBL Machine Settings
NOTE: These can be preset in the OpenBuilds CONTROL software but if you need them they are here
Sphinx 55 GRBL Settings
Set your board to 1/8th steps
You can use $$ to look up your grbl settings in the software.
$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=4 (dir port invert mask:00000110)
$4=1 (step enable invert, bool) (Board V1, V2, V3 Matte = $4=0 - Glossy board V3 = $4=1)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=1 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000001)
$24=100.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=1000.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=5.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$30=1000 (Maximum spindle speed, RPM)
$31=0 (Minimum spindle speed, RPM)
$32=0 (Laser-mode enable, boolean)
$100=199.100 (x, step/mm)
$101=199.100 (y, step/mm)
$102=199.100 (z, step/mm)
$110=2500 (x max rate, mm/min) (Go up to 7500)
$111=2500 (y max rate, mm/min) (Go up to 7500)
$112=2500 (z max rate, mm/min) (Go up to 7500)
$120=150.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=150.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=150.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=333 (x max travel, mm)
$131=325 (y max travel, mm)
$132=85 (z max travel, mm)
*If your looking to use a water cooled spindle be sure to check out the 3D printed reducer ring/spindle mount adapter created by Tyler Harley
Spindle Mount Adapter
*Companies that sell collets for the DeWalt 611 and Bosch Colt Routers that will accept 1/8" shaft bits
- OPEN SOURCE - The Sphinx machine is Open Source and the Builder community is encouraged to modify and build on this design.
- EASY TO BUILD - With the V-Slot Modular Framing System and OpenBuilds Build-Along Video, assembly is quick and easy.
- AFFORDABLE - OpenBuilds budget friendly parts allow Builders the opportunity to freely create.
- CUSTOMIZATION - Take it to the next level and make it your own! Share your builds with the Open Source Builders community OpenBuilds.com
Grab your Bundle Pack Today and Start Your Build!
- For your convenience and ease of purchase this Build is available as a Parts Bundle -
OpenBuilds Sphinx 55
The OpenBuilds Sphinx 55 - 500x500 Lead Screw Machine
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildThe Sphinx incorporates so much of what the OpenBuilds system is about and does so in a strong machine design.
Inspired byThe original Sphinx by Kyo