Hello, This is my first time actually posting up a build or, my attempt to help share what I have learned during this Build. I'm in no way a pro, just a jack of all trades a master of none. If you're not comfortable with wiring to the mains please skip ahead. Back in March, I started building the Control Box that would run the CNC unit but during that time I wasn't sure which or what manufacturer Build to go with. I'm also going with Mach3 as it was the program mentioned during my web hunting for a breakout board.
I soon realized how rough the look of this case is going to be on the outside, I have some plans when I do get this unit running to Dress the Case up with wooden panels or Maybe transfer to a new body during its evolution cycle ( lol).
Made from an old PC case, I figured it was a decent size and I could use the power supply to power up this thing. When I started researching common components that make up the controller I soon realized this build list is going to get long. The first thing that caught my mind was the fact of grounding loops can be a potential issue and safety not only for me but my place and for the unit.
Started off using a double pole single throw power (STSP) switch to kill all power to the case.
then have that power filtered then have some protection with a resettable 15 amp breaker. The "Ground" was placed to a fixed point on the case, were all "branches of power components" will merg to this one spot to help prevent a grounding loop. the Mains split to two power adapters a 24v and the 36v
I added a fan to help with heat build-up during operations and help vent the stepper drivers
that ac to dc 24volt power adapter it what powers the controller and proxy sensors and fans. Was happy no magic smoke leaked out.
Which this completes the Main power supply with built-in 24v.
Heres some pics of the two power supplies mounted in the case I had lots of fun using my new rivet gun made a rail to help support the 48v PS
I didn't know which controller board or "break outboard" to go with so I'm experimenting with an eBay one that caught my eye also the Stepper Motor kits arrived from Stepper Motor & Stepper Motor Driver - StepperOnline was super happy about that so I gave it a spin.
My next step was to find a simple way how to mount the controller and stepper drivers inside the case.
Then I decided to add another fan blowing air inside the case since the controller would be close to the CNC unit a must have is to have a dust guard to help keep your electrical parts clean and cool which is added and the end of the build.
My Next step was wire management since the outside was rough and let it flow to the internals I didn't want to make it difficult to troubleshoot or follow a wire. I placed some extra protection fuses to help protect the steppers even though I believe that have overcurrent protection build in. I realized that I would end up with an issue on hooking up the proxy sensors with limited leads to the 24v lead I decided to make a none fancy 24v power rail to keep the wires organized, I also used Ferrules for the first time I have to say it made screwing the terminals simple and spare the wires from fraying. I also added the connections to the stepper motors and sensors and remote safety switch. I added some led lights to the front to help troubleshoot if any of the PS don't start up and the safety Red Led light to visually let me know the safety is tripped. I also installed a small USB wire to make it neat and not have a wire and grommet attached directly to through the case. To help with Cross signal talk from high voltage to low voltage I think its called EMI I used 2 pairs shielded cables and combined only one side of the ground to the main ground of the case
I forgot to mention I used buck controllers to help power the 12volt LEDs at the front of the case, got them for a dollar a piece. Used plastic standoffs to keep them from grounding to the case. Left room for a possible spindle upgrade I still haven't found a nice one I like, been reading mixed reviews on the eBay ones.
Most of the Wires a friend had and had no use for them, they came from an elevator some are 18awg and 22awg This ends the Controller build.
I made some sensor brackets with Alumiun angle bar, That's when I put the miter saw to the test here are some pics on how they turned out. Not sure if their size will effect the travel on the axis but I will find out.
Fast forward to This week and I finally decided on building the CNC unit so I picked parts from the C-Beam XL build and replaced the 500mm parts with extra 1000mm. Placed the order during our Canadian Thanksgiving holiday.
The Parts arrived within a week from www.Makerparts.ca
Great place to build anything if you're in Canada, or at least in Ontario
I alternated from Filing the extrusion parts and making the subassemblies. I have filed and filed, did I mention file the pairs of extrusions I did try to use my miter saw with carbide blade to shave the ends, it cuts but when looking for squareness I found it kind of tappers at the bottom of the cut, It could be my fault not slowing down enough to let the blade do the work, but I quickly switch to match the pairs to the same size and file for equal square I followed the C-Beam xl pdf file from Moag Build and watched the videos from the C-beam plate maker and the Mini Mill.
I Have completed (well I hope I did) all the filing now, I have started taped the ends at this point, But I will have to leave you at this point as that's where I'm at here are some more pics of the results.
C-Beam XL ( 1 meter²)
A modified C-Beam Build with a few Addons
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildThe reason for this build is to make custom fabrication parts from PC mods to engraving, making replacement hobby parts, Toys, some Art, on plastics, wood, maybe some Aluminum. or even Paper drag-knife cutting.
Inspired byC-Beam Machine XLarge by Moag, C-Beam to C-Beam XL Upgrade by SBLabs,