Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Wiring CNC xPRO v2 and high torque motors

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by lord_drachenblut, Sep 21, 2016.

1. lord_drachenblut

Builder

My electronics skills are rather rusty these days. I wanted to get recommendations for the gauge wire I need to use to extend the connection from the nema23 high torque motors used with the c-beam machine xlarge and the CNC xpro v2.

I can't forse needing to make these connections longer than 3 to 4 feet to get everything to where I want it.

Also is using a atx power supply to power the xpro v2 and the 4 nema 23 high torque motors on this machine

2. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

I believe you want something that is impossible, like using the trunk of your car to transport 2 tons of load.

The xPRo is based on a 2.5A peak driver, around 1.75A continuously, and you need more than twice as much amperage to get it work at 12vDC.

I would post it in the xPRO section and I'm sure you will get a quick answer, but be warned, the reactions will be the same as mine ;).

This leaves you with no other option than to go with good separate drivers and wire that up to an Arduino Uno if you want to use GRBL, also use a 24 or 36vDC PSU and not just an ATX one.

-Ronald

3. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

On the live XLarge build, @KirkwoodWorking used an MK3/4 controller from planet-cnc.com (@PlanetCNC Andrej) [does require a windows machine I believe] with an OpenBuilds 24V power supply. I can't quite make out the drivers (maybe someone else here can identify them) but they do have very handy ribbon cables making connection much easier.
    20160826_105847 (Medium).jpg