Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Water Cooling A CO2 Laser

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Madyn3D CNC, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Madyn3D CNC

Builder

There's already an entire market full of water cooling products established from our friends in the PC modding industry, which has been around for quite some time.

Here's what I did for under $10...

Water Temp LCD Display- $2.99
    PC Cooling Indicator Module- $4.99
    Silicone Tubing & Grommets and Gate Switches I already had on hand.

The concept is simple. The LCD display comes with a probe attached to a water proof wire running to the LCD. Simply drop the probe in your water reservoir so you can read the water temp.

The PC cooling module is simply a free-spinning "fan" inside a modular chamber. The water flows through, the fan moves.

IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1908.JPG IMG_1909.JPG Madyn3D.jpg Madyn3D_LLC.jpg

There's 2 LCD's up top. The blue is reading water temp, and the red is reading LiPo voltage, as my lights, fans, and alignment diodes are on it's own LiPo source.....

IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1911.JPG

Currently in the process of switching out the PSU, but once it arrives and I can cut a new control panel I will be adding the water pressure gauge and a 30A main breaker switch for ON/OFF on the PSU and water pump.

IMG_1912.JPG

There's a lot of modification done to this unit, and once it's complete (with Cohesion3D upgrade and Z-axis table) I will be doing a separate post on all the mods, including how-to's and sourcing parts. This thread is just to share ideas on water cooling. Hope to share some inspiration, if you upgrade your water cooling system after viewing this thread please post your pics! I'd love to see what others do here.

2. Madyn3D CNC

Builder

One thing I forgot to mention, a huge benefit of adding the water flow wheel is that it indicates when the tube and lines are fully saturated with water and all bubbles are gone. This was something I realised only AFTER I installed the water wheel.. you will see bubbles passing through for about 30 seconds to a minute, and then the bubbles will slowly dissipate and you can visually see this happening via. the water wheel. I use to check my tube for bubbles, now I no longer need to do that.
    IMG_1909.JPG

stargeezer and Giarc like this.