Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-Slot Belt Driven Linear Actuator Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Oct 7, 2013.

1. finalcountdown

Builder

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

More then welcome glad its a help
    Yes you can use grbl with the DQ542MA drivers
    Have a look here

Testing 3axis setup with Arduino Grbl and DQ542MA drivers and Nema23 57BYGH627 steppermotors . Gcode streaming to arduino through Universal Gcode sender.

3. finalcountdown

Builder

Wow thats amazing!

It looks like you need to use gcode with this one.
    I guess I can use gcode to create linear motion but it may be an overkill in my scenario since I don't intend to use it to print anything.

I was only planning to lift the object up and down to a certain distance(using belt driven actuator) and push the object to a certain distance(2 stepper motor belt and pulley setup or stationary belt 2 stepper motors just like OX CNC Machine) .

Please see the attached sketchup - I combined the linear belt driven design of yours to fit my application.

This way you kind of have some idea on what I am trying to achieve.

I cannot thank you enough that I found this site. There are some really amazing projects here!
    And your website is really nice too - easy to navigate and find information. Discussion is useful too!

#33 finalcountdown, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. Mark Carew

You can write a simple stepper control program to do the simple tasks.
    Have a look here: Arduino - Stepper

That's great to hear @finalcountdown and we are happy to help. Its comments like this that make it all worthwhile. :thumbsup:

Looks like a great project, please be sure to start your Build so we can all follow along and help where we can. It makes it much nicer to see the Build coming together and it leaves a nice log for other Builders wanting to do a similar build as well. That's the great thing about OpenBuilds as we are all working together to help each other learn and achieve their Builds.

5. finalcountdown

Builder

Yes thank you for your reply.

Found these drivers on sale :)

Aliexpress.com : Buy wantai 4 pcs Stepper Digital Driver DQ542MA 50V 4.2A 128 Microsteps for Nema23 stepper motor with superior quality from Reliable stepper motor nema 17 suppliers on Changzhou Waitai Motor Store

Any other drivers that I can use with arduino?

How reliable are the dq542ma drivers?

6. Mark Carew

More then welcome :)

you can use most any stepper driver out there as you are just send signals to the driver so it can do its jog of driving the stepper motors

They are really nice drivers indeed and the Part Store will have these in stock soon. ;) ETA this week!

7. finalcountdown

Builder

8. Mark Carew

I suppose you could just need to drill out the mounting plate holes a little for mounting.

9. finalcountdown

Builder

Really appreciate your answers.

Could you please let me know ETA for this information to be available?

Can I use 40 tooth G3 pulley ? It seems to be larger in diameter.

What would be the advantages/disadvantages over 20tooth? I assume it will decrease the slippage if I use 40 tooth.

How can I also detect if the stepper motor is forced using DQ542MA stepper driver so that it is stopped immediately if the moving mechanism encounters with an object?

10. Mark Carew

There is no ETA on completion but we are in the que and hope it will be within a couple weeks.
    20th will give you a higher resolutions and yes with the 40tooth you will have more teeth in the grooves. But even with the 20 tooth it would be very hard to make the gt3 belt slip on the pulley
    You might be able to use a limit switch or a proximity sensor or another type sensor there are so many out there to choose from.

11. finalcountdown

Builder

Thanks for that.
    I think I will go with 20 teeth and gt3 and nema23 motor.
    I want to basically stop the stepper once it is forced to prevent further injury(just like garage door systems if it hits an object the garage door stops). I am not sure how proximity sensor or limit switch is going to help with that.
    They are good to find specific locations or home position however, if an unexpected object is being in contact with gantry plate while the gantry plate is moving, I don't think they will be useful to detect collision.
    Would it be possible to detect the current that is drawn and stop the motor? If it is drawn more than usual, I will stop the motor. Would this be the way to go? Or is there more efficient way of stopping the motor?

#41 finalcountdown, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  12. finalcountdown

Builder

Can i use these with G3 timing belt and pulley?
    Smooth Idler Pulley Wheel Kit

Can I also use universal gantry plate with V-Slot™ Linear Rail 20mm x 60mm ?

How strong are the locking t-nuts for the high torque motors nema23?
    It looks like the chain might slip underneath? Or is it pretty tight?

#42 finalcountdown, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. finalcountdown

Builder

Is it possible to use nema 34 or 42 with with g3 pulley and timing belt?

14. finalcountdown

Builder

Hi I ordered a rail system but still havent heard back from you guys.
    Could you please let me know when this will be processed?

Thank you.

15. Mark Carew

Hello @finalcountdown

Yes you can use this with no problems.

Yes you can use the Universal Gantry plate on the 60mm V-Slot. It will also work on 20x20 - 20x40 - 20x60 and 20x80 V-Slot

Yes you can use larger steppers with the gt3 belt however on the pulleys you may need to bore out the ID as the larger steppers will have larger shafts

We talked with the Part Store Team and let them know this so they will be contacting you to help.
    If you have any further order questions you can email to http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home

Thank you

finalcountdown likes this.
  16. finalcountdown

Builder

Thank you. You are the champion.

Mark Carew likes this.
  17. Mark Carew

Thank you for the kind words my friend. :) We look forward to your seeing your Builds :thumbsup:

18. finalcountdown

Builder

Hi,
    I was wondering what the part number of this is? Please see the attached - it is to attach the belt to the gantry.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

19. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hello @finalcountdown,

The small plates that you see are T-nuts, SKU 50 (25pcs), the bushing in the center is a 6mm or 1/4" spacer, SKU 90 or 15.

Good luck on the build ;),

-Ronald

Mark Carew likes this.
  20. finalcountdown

Builder

What are the maintenance procedure on these?

V aluminum track
    Extreme solid wheels

Do you only lubricate the track? Do you need to lubricate the wheel bearings?

Any recommended maintenance schedule on these?

21. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Do not lubricate the track. This causes debris to stick to it. Brush debris from the tracks as it collects with a soft brush and/or vacuum it away.

As far as lubricating the bearings, you'll find this impractical as proper bearing lubrication requires removal from the system. Best suggestion is to check the gantry for looseness periodically and adjust the eccentric spacers to compensate for wheel or track wear as necessary and to replace the bearings should any play in the bearings be identified. Scheduling such checks will depend entirely on usage.

finalcountdown and Mark Carew like this.
  22. finalcountdown

Builder

I was just wondering how I can prevent belt slip.
    I am trying to lift 3 kgs of load using 1500mm vslot.
    The G3 belt starts slipping while on idle. The stepper does not move at all and stable which is good. The belt just slips on it.
    I adjusted the idler pulley so the belt is reasonably tight.
    Any tips and tricks?

23. Mark Carew

Just an quick update to let everyone know that we have updated the examples file with more NEAM 23 quick build examples
    You can find the file in the Files Tab - More Linear Belt Examples 3c
    Hope this helps :)
    [​IMG]

finalcountdown likes this.
  24. finalcountdown

Builder

Yes!
    You will need at least 2 double tee nuts to hold the Nema23

25. finalcountdown

Builder

Can I use this spring with the setup below?
    [​IMG]
    I have a 1500mm run and the belt seems to be a little lose even though I managed to tighten it from the idler pulley side.
    Is the belt going to interfere/rub against the track?
    How tight does the belt need to be?

I moved the gantry to the idler pulley side.
    I can easily pull the belt and my finger can fit there easily. Do i need to tighten it even more?
    Please see the attached images.
    Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.
    Is it ok to use belt grip liquid like the one below?

Belt Grip Compound - 400g Aerosol - CRC

Or should I leave the belt alone?

Attached Files:

#55 finalcountdown, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  26. finalcountdown

Builder

I was also wondering if 1.5 meters of G3 belt can hold 5kgs of weight? Anyone had some experience with this?
    You bolt down the belt one end at the top and the other end you put 5kgs of load. You then leave the load a bit like bungee-jumping haha but perpendicular to the ground.
    Would the belt hold this load without snapping or stretching?

27. Waleid

Waleid New
    Builder

I would like to know its load capacity and if this can carry 10 kg and Bending of 30 N.m
    also its speed when it's loaded and unloaded
    and about the motor what is its DC volt and if it's with digital input go/stop or increment.

Thank you for your help

Regards

28. Rick K

Rick K New
    Builder

Hey All I am looking to use this in a small project to do the following:

Mount it inside a box, and attach a picture frame to the mounting plate, hit a button and raise the picture frame vertically to reveal the contents.

a few questions:

Suggestions on how to handle the balancing of the picture frame when raised - ideally I would just mount the frame in the center of the belt and it would balance itself - however this then reduces the available space to reach into the box by half -- so I need a better option for handing the weight load (other than say maybe sliding horizontally - and thats not out of the question.)?

what is the load capacity in the current configuration say if I went with the 1000mm setup?

would it be recommeded to use 2 guide rails with only one side having the stepper motor?

Simplest control board to run a single motor going vertical (or maybe horizontal) ?
    It would need to be a QUICK movement. I wouldnt need it to be like BULLET speed, but I need it to be quick.

lastly - needs to be activated by a button/switch small, hidden on or behind the picture frame.

SO: Thoughts? Answers?

29. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I would recommend using a pair of these in combination with a full extension drawer slide. Set the actuators behind the picture near the side edges and power both with a single motor driving a long steel rod between the units affixed to the bottom pulleys. Use the full extension drawer slide set behind the picture to stabilize it laterally. (A pair of drawer guides would be even better if you plan to go fairly wide.) By setting up the actuators with compound action you could eliminate the drawer slides but such a concept would be fairly tricky for a first-timer.

As far as weight, I wouldn't go more than a few pounds. And remember the picture will only be held aloft as long as there is power to the stepper. When the power shuts off the picture comes down.

30. Rick K

Rick K New
    Builder

interesting.. ya I am still trying to figure out the power to the solution.. but that will come as I get closer. OK thanks for the input I appreciate it.