Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Trying to make a Positioning system with interface

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by sirfoz, Nov 17, 2016.

1. sirfoz

sirfoz New
    Builder

Basically I want to use some common controller and Interface to move a stop on a machine. The operator would use the interface to set the distance for the stop to move in decimal form. I don't have any programming skills but i can build all the hardware and electronics. Does this sound doable. It would need to have some sort of correction factor like inches per step. Please let me know what you think.

Foz

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. sirfoz

sirfoz New
    Builder

Interesting build the second one seams to be more about messuring than positioning. A standalone system with a lcd and a keypad would be perfect. I cant seam to find an example of someone building one and I have no experience programming, how hard would this be? So basically a home switch and a controller. You would need a steps per inch setting and a max steps setting/end limit switch. You would need to be able to adjust the speed and have accel decel rate. this should work for inputs. Membrane 3x4 Matrix Keypad + extras [3x4] ID: 419 - $3.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits and this Standard LCD 16x2 + extras [white on blue] ID: 181 - $9.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits for display. What do you think.

Ps I am not talking mechanical parts because the mechanical side is relatively simple.

4. DonLinTX

DonLinTX New
    Builder

Any progress on this? I have a 500mm C-beam kit coming and plan to make one for my Table Saw. Custom finger joint, repetitive cuts, etc. I think a Nano and a Big Easy stepper driver plus 4 line LCD would work. Maybe add a rotary for menu, allow zeroing and down load of Step sequence or Fixed steps without download. Maybe a footswitch too, to increment the position. plan to mount to a slide table fixture.