Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Sketchup 3D --> 2D question

Discussion in 'CAD' started by gazingm42, Feb 13, 2017.

1. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

So I downloaded the 2017 sketchup make plu the sketchucam extension and loaded it.

So in the video tutorial video it states you must not use 3D as it will not work, you need
    to use 2D format only.

I have hunted unsuccessfully to figure out which Sketchup template to select on startup and
    make sure a given drawing only will be in 2D.

Help?

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

I think you miss-understood what was said in the video. In SketchUcam there is an option to generate 3D code. It works but it is not perfect. I used it a few time with satisfying success. The recommendation is not to rely on that feature. That is all that they are trying to tell you. In SketchUp you can use any template that you want but when you want to use the SketchUcam tools, the parts that you want to use it on have to be flat and there is a tool to ensure it's flat in the 2D plane. Read the manuals and look at the videos that swarfer did to see how to make sure the parts are flat.

3. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks JustinTime, I look for that video swarfer did to make it flat.

Thanks

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi
    There are a few plugins for unwrapping 3D objects into flat panels, you will have to google it.
    Also, this video might help...

5. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks... I will go look at this.