Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Replacement for NEMA 34 steppers

Discussion in 'Motors' started by cihset, Mar 1, 2016.

1. cihset

cihset New
    Builder

Hi,

I have access to an old CNC router that uses HY200 3424 stepper motors (NEMA 34); see link below to pdf. They are rated 4.7 A, 90 Volt and 150/193 Nm. I would like to run them with a CNC xPro, or similar. Could someone recommend me a possible replacement or what specifications that I need to look for?

HY200 3424 (pdf):
    http://www.probyte.fi/pdf/HY200-3424-0170.pdf

Will the below stepper work if I can get the shaft to fit?
    Dual Shaft Nema 34 CNC Stepper Motor 2.2Nm(312oz.in) 2A 34HS26-2006D|34HS26-2006D|Nema 34 Stepper Motors

Thanks for a great forum! It has helped med a lot in understanding CNC controlling and building an Ox. :)

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

if those are the motors the factory fitted, then you need the power, at least that much, ad they get the power (and speed) from the high input voltage, xPro is limited to 12 volts.

xPro is just a package GRBL controller, right?
    then an Arduino with GRBL and drivers to suite the motors is better...
    something like this
    MBC082561 - 7.1-12.5A Current Range - Stepper Drivers with DC Input

you will need 3 or 4 depending on how many motors there are, and an 80 volt PSU (can probably use the existing one).

depending on what drivers are already on the machine, you may be able to use them with an Ardiuno and the existing motors.

3. cihset

cihset New
    Builder

I think I was starring too much on the torque. Yes, I see that I need the power. Otherwise, the machine might just be able to cut wood, or perhaps not even be able to move.

I found the GitHub page for Grbl very informative, e.g. the page on Connecting Grbl. However, we found that possibly the best solution (but not the easiest) is to replace the punch tape recorder, so that the instrument panel can be kept working.

Thank you for the help, and sorry for the late reply.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I looked at the xPro after this, and it looks to be a custom Atmel board for running grbl, as you say, but then it also claims that it can do not just 3+1 axis (ie. dual-Y or whatever) motion, but actual 4-axis XYZA motion? I know grbl isn't capable of that until they fork to their new larger Mega-only builds, so what's that about?