Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ox upgrade

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by leversole, Feb 13, 2016.

1. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Been using my Ox clone for a few months...two issues with mine I am going to address...

Flex...It appears that fore/aft flex on the Z axis is the biggest contributor to less than perfect routing. My plan was to change the 20X60 gantry beams to two 20X80, and bolt them together, giving a little more rigidity and a longer arm to prevent twist. I would rebuild the X axis plates accordingly, and spread out the Z axis wheels to take advantage of the longer height.
    I am wondering how this will compare with just using a 40X80 CBeam? Though the center on one side is "cut out" compared to two 20X80's, I wonder if the CBeam would be as stiff? Using the CBeam would be a little "cleaner" in design and save time and introduction of alignment errors I might encounter by bolting two 20X80's together.

Also, I built the stock gantry plates out of 1/4" aluminum....I want to "raise" the gantry by about 3 inches not only to take advantage of all of my Z travel, but with longer bits, I am have to move off of my work to change the bits....I would build the taller plates ( a common mod I believe) out of 3/8" aluminum

One of these days I will post a build log of the sublte changes I made when building...

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated...

Leslie