Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OX-SUMO, SUMO-OX, OXSUMO?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by evildean, Oct 30, 2015.

1. evildean

evildean New
    Builder

My first Marilyn Monroe head ever! :) More 1/2 inch plywood. 1/4in up-cut spiral bit.
    Very satisfied with outcome! I made the little girl holding the piece also. Well, more like a work in progress! :p

20151122_105549[1].jpg

2. swe3tdave

swe3tdave Guest
    Guest Builder

the deflection of the Z axis seems to be an issue because, first the V-wheels dont seems to be made to prevent flexing in all direction. Second, the z axis is coupled with the x axis which is coupled to the Y axis... Seems like a scary setup to me... I would try metal V-wheels for the z-axis if i was in your shoes but its a bad idea over time... For my own setup i was thinking more about an up-down table as a Z axis. Would definitely cost more but i'm stuck waiting 8 months until i can build anything anyway.

3. ChadRat6458

Builder

great looking stuff. What software are you using?

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. evildean

evildean New
    Builder

Still having to find time for this project! Messing around a little bit here and there but more of a holding pattern until real life lets up. For software I use sketchup w/ sketchUcam, inkscape, cambam, Universal Gcode sender, or chilipeppr to an XPro controller. Thank you all for your comments. I will have more to share soon.

6. evildean

evildean New
    Builder

My wife posted, on social media, some stuff we recently did learning some G-code. Several people immediately asked for personal signs of there own, and it has been the most satisfying learning experience of all!

20151218_101941[1].jpg

Mark Carew likes this.
  7. evildean

evildean New
    Builder

The CNC is the easy part... the sanding, priming, painting, painting more, painting even more, sealing, sealing again process is WORK! :p

8. evildean

evildean New
    Builder

Wanted to see what gold glitter spray paint looked like, so I painted Marilyn.

20151230_071351[1].jpg

9. evildean

evildean New
    Builder

Made these as Christmas gifts for my brother in-laws. They don't get along with each other at all if you are wondering?

20151225_093630[1].jpg

10. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Wow @evildean you are going to town! You are doing an awesome job on these signs my friend, thank you for sharing them with us, we love to see what the machines are making.
    Keep up the great work