Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Original PhlatPrinter

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Nov 8, 2013.

1. SlowBipe

SlowBipe New
    Builder

Mark, is there anyway that you might be able to post more pics of what you have worked up on the V channel foam cutter? I couldn't see a lot from the one pic you posted. Maybe that would spur some more dialog on here for new ideas. I like what you did post.

Slowbipe

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi SlowBipe,
    At the moment I have the X and Z axis plate in the works and have been testing that. I still have to work out the best way to do the drive roller(s) and pressure rollers. I the gantry for the X/Z will be a universal gantry that can be used on lots of machines as a low profile light to medium duty gantry so I wanted to be sure to get this done first so that other builds could be in the works. So at the moment these gantry pics are the only ones I have and I hope to have more soon.
    Thanks
    Mark

3. SlowBipe

SlowBipe New
    Builder

Thanks Mark for the quick reply. I understand how many projects you are working on. I look forward to hearing the ideas that you have on potential roller design.

I would love to contribute with my experience using the pneumatics. This could simplify the design. It takes the spring forces off the machine and eliminates the need to have a bulk of weight to lift against when lifting the top rollers.

4. Mark Carew

Thanks @SlowBipe I think the pneumatic set up for the pressure rollers would be sweet for sure and I look forward to seeing this incorporated in this build! :thumbsup:

5. Bent Wing Bandit

Builder

Why is the Phlatprinter l on the site with plans and a parts list and the Phlatprinter lll is not? I would think the lll is a more up to date model?

6. Mark Carew

The Phlatprinter 1, 2 and 3 are separate machines that each have their own design files and builds.
    The Phlatprinter III is on the list (as time allows) to be released soon along with the Phlatformer! :thumbsup:

David the swarfer likes this.
  7. nibbles

nibbles New
    Builder

Can anyone advise a UK source (or just metric dimensions) for the "Nylon Spacers #10 Screw (3/8inch x .171 x 1/2inch)"
    It's about the only part I'm struggling to source via ebay/local.

Also, as I'm looking to take the dxf file to a local CNC shop, is this all from one 8'x4' sheet of 6mm MDF?

8. Balu

Balu Well-Known
    Builder

Nibbles, I have never used a Phlatprinter, but this is the oldest design and there were two later versions that improved a lot - as far as I've read.

Mark Carew also mentioned that he'd love to build a fourth version based on openbuilds parts, but I'm not sure if he will get to that soon, because he seems to be pretty busy. (He announced that files for V3 are going to be released "soon" in Dec 2014... :) )

9. Mark Carew

@Balu lol Was it that long ago!? :) I do apologize as the plan was to release the MK3 as a build with all the trimmings but we did get busy and for that I am sorry.
    I will post the files here and if later we have the time we will release the MK3 as a full build.
    In the meantime, I have been working on a V-Slot Phlatprinter and have 2 prototypes on the table but the drive roller system is the bugger and I am not happy with it yet.

So here are the unofficial release of the Phlatprinter MK3 plans!
    Zip file attached
    You can break this down to smaller sheets for cutting (we have it setup for 4'x8' sheets). You can use 1/4" material.
    Again, we hope to put up an official build with parts list and the discussion thread so that we have a place to show off mods and builds for the Phlatprinter MK3

Hope this helps have fun guys and be sure to share if you build one we would love to see it!

Phlatprinter MK3 pic 7.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Balu

Balu Well-Known
    Builder

No need to apologize, I was mainly warning @nibbles to not go ahead and start building the very first (and old) version :).

Why don't you show what you have so far as "in progress" and have some of the other master mechanics on this forum help finding ideas for the rollers? :)

Brainstorming ideas back and forth is what makes this forum so awesome :)

n0kjf and nibbles like this.
  11. Mark Carew

That's the plan for sure, just need to get to that point :) We have it in line on the table so it definitely in cue.

12. nibbles

nibbles New
    Builder

Wow, if I'd have known my desire for a phlatprinter would spark the mk 3 being released, I'd have asked months ago. Lol.
    Thanks for the details Mark, and not wanting to be pushy, but is there a hardware list for the mk3?
    I've just ordered the gears and belt for the mk1, so I'm hoping they're the same on the mk3?
    Oh, and will I still need to track down those pesky nylon spacers still?

Mark Carew and Balu like this.
  13. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Will these do? Inside is a bit large but the outside is spot on. These actually are the ones for #10 screws, .171 is for #8.

nibbles likes this.
  14. nibbles

nibbles New
    Builder

Thanks Rick, at that price I'll order a few and even if they're not needed on the mk3, I'll use them for something.

15. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 New
    Builder

Mark,
    I'm wondering what size bit was used to cut these? 1/8" looks like I can't get skechucam to generate G-code for many features... did you use a 1/16 cutter?

Often when I work on large files like this and place phlatscript features - Sketchup often hangs or crashes - I am alone or are there settings that can help prevent this?

16. Mark Carew

I used a 1/8th" bit to cut these.
    If you used the Phlatscript on these it would take a long time to generate the file. I would suggest maybe processing a few of the parts at a time to make sure that they are ok then try using the gcode joiner to put them together.
    Another option on files this large would be to use software like cut 2d or artcam etc.

17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I never realized I wanted or needed a Phlatprinter until I saw this one. I still may not need one, but boy do I want one.

Mark Carew likes this.
  18. Mark Carew

lol I know what you mean @Giarc
    The Phlatprinter came to be after the first time I cut foamie plans out by hand. I said there has to be a better way and with only a limited space to work with in my garage it's small footprint turned out to be the perfect solution.

19. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

first make sure you are using the latest version (-: (of both Sketchup and SketchUcam)
    then, private message me your problem file so I can look at it.
    one thing that can affect this sort of thing is what OTHER plugins you have in addition to SketchUcam, and of course available memory etc. try purging that big drawing of all deleted stuff so Sketchup has less work to do.

in terms of generating Gcode, you can speed that up by selecting only the stuff you want code for, SketchUcam will only process the selections. This means that on a large drawing where you are only generating for a portion of it that is within a reduced safe area, if you select the stuff inside the safe area it will be much faster.

the other thing to watch for is having too many line segments in the first place. particularly drawings that originated in other CAD packages, or from a scan/vectorize process, can have many tiny line segments that you do not need.
    If you add cutlines for all those tiny lines it takes ages, as does generating Gcode from it. I use a plugin called, IIRC 'edgetools2' that has a 'simplify' tool that will combine small segments into one longer segment.

try
    Edge Tools² | SketchUp Extension Warehouse
    or this one I just found as well
    Simplify Contours Tool | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Serge E. likes this.
  20. nibbles

nibbles New
    Builder

I know you're probably really busy @Mark Carew, but just wondered if there's a parts list floating around for the Mk3 - just want to see what I can use from the parts gathered so far for the Mk1 build.
    Cheers in advance

21. Mark Carew

Hello @nibbles no problem
    We do have a parts list that you can go by but I am not sure how complete it is anymore due to time, but it should point you in the right direction to find the parts needed.
    Hope it helps

Attached Files:

n0kjf and nibbles like this.
  22. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Just a general note to anyone wanting to cut these components from the original drawings.....
    in the the PP3 drawings and presumably the others, there are slots that are less than 1/8" wide (the ones for the edge retainer nuts on the backplate, for example).
    Therefore you cannot generate working cutlines using a 1/8" bit.
    Use a 3mm bit instead, which will fit into the slots.

23. nibbles

nibbles New
    Builder

Thanks Mark. - That's quite an extensive list mind!
    I think I'll continue accumulating the parts for the Mk1 (Always wanted one from the day you first showcased it!), and as time allows I'll try to track down UK equivalents on the Mk3 shopping list to build one day.

Mark Carew likes this.
  24. 3DMON

3DMON New
    Builder

I have both a Phlatprinter 1 and 3....
    Build the PP3. It's a far better machine. My Phlatprinter 1 sits collecting dust.

n0kjf likes this.
  25. Mark Carew

No problem @nibbles glad to help, I agree with @3DMON though you may want to go straight fro the MK3 as its the results of the community ideas all put into one machine with most of the guys having already used the MK1 and MK2 machines.
    Good point @David the swarfer thank you

n0kjf likes this.
  26. MTO

MTO Well-Known
    Builder

So... I have access to a laser cutter, and the small footprint of the phlatprinters really appeals. I forget the kerf on the cutter, but it is *MUCH* less than 1/8th, so cutting this out should be no problem, except for one problem: The cutter can "only" do 4' by 3'. Is there a natural way to split these up for the CAD handicapped?

27. Angelobf

Angelobf New
    Builder

Mark , Project congratulations. I downloaded the plans of MK3 , but this in inches, not found here in Brazil Company que cutting CNC drawings DXF in inches, asked to move to millimeters , I do not know how to do and what I saw would have to redo the design , you or someone who is riding even have the drawing in DXF in millimeters or centimeters ?? Another question , Are There Any design or video how to mount the MDF structure , mechanics, electronics, rollers , shafts etc. I already googled and already know how to ride . I appreciate the help and will post here the evolution .

28. Mark Carew

Thank you for the kind words @Angelobf
    "you or someone who is riding even have the drawing in DXF in millimeters or centimeters ??" I do not but it should be as simple as running it though the post processor in mm. also the company cutting it should have no problem converting it to mm before cutting. If you are using 6mm material (in place of the 1/4" material we used) all they need to do is resize one of the tab slot holes to 6mm or whatever materiel thickness your using is and in turn resizing the entire design as well. I recommend using 6mm material as its close enough to 1/4" that all the hardware will work.
    We do have a build log but it is on several disk. If you get this cut out and need the disk let me know and I will see what i can do to send them to you. :)
    Hope this helps good luck with the build :thumbsup:

29. Angelobf

Angelobf New
    Builder

Mark , Thanks For Help When Receiving the MDF cut warning

30. Black Knight

Builder

Is there somewhere I can buy the original phlatprinter kit in Australia??