Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Open Builds Licensing

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Metalguru, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Hi guys:

Curious about the open builds licensing. Where can I find a copy of the license documents?

Is there anything preventing me from building something under the open license and selling it?

Can I build and sell custom built devices using Open Build parts and plans?

Can I generate revenue from a device built under the open builds license?

Thanks.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

As far as copying build designs and selling them for profit each has its own requirements. Check the design tab on each build for specific Creative Commons licensing requirements.
    Ref. OpenBuilds Creative Commons Licenses for further information.

4. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

What about coming up with a new design based on but not a copy of an existing design? From what I've read on the Creative Commons licensing, it would seem that this is the whole idea of open source hardware. From what I've read so far, as long as I give credit to the initial designers, and include any relevant documentation from them, I am free to do what I wish with the information.

I'm no lawyer, and I don't want to have to become one to decode all this stuff. All I want to know is if I can design and build custom CNC machines based on but not necessarily identical to OpenBuilds designs and sell them to customers in my local area. I think there is a local market for that sort of thing and would like to set up a business model based on this.

5. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Absolutely @Metalguru please do! That's what its all about. If you are making a design based off of another Builders work, you need to follow the licence rules posted by Mod Rick 2.0 above.
    All we ask (not a requirement) as an act of appreciation for what you learn here on OpenBuilds is that you share back your version with the community here so that we as a community can continue to grow and help others that would like to join in on this awesome hobby! :thumbsup:

Adam Filipowicz likes this.