Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

ooznest OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ryan Lock, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Alan Foster

Alan Foster Well-Known
    Builder

Ill have to check everything later today, everything we do are regards printing and vinyl cutting is exported to .eps from coreldraw our main design software, which exports fine into various other printing rips and cutting software for the vinyl cutter.

So it may be the settings in vcarve for doing the toolpaths or the Grbl controller, my business partner Tony has been looking through the various tutorials over this weekend so he will be in shortly and we will get to the bottom of it, but thanks everyone for your reply's

Alan

Ryan Lock likes this.
  2. Jestah

Jestah Veteran
    Builder

Feel free to email me at Jestah@cnckits.co.nz your Vcarve file if you want me to have a little look over it. I would mainly be looking at your tool sizes and offsets as its VERY lucky to have a calibration issue cause very "round" changes to actual cut sizes.

Ryan Lock likes this.
  3. Alan Foster

Alan Foster Well-Known
    Builder

thanks for that Jestah, it probably is something simple, admittedly we don't know vcarve that well at all, i could do with someone sitting here explaining to me what all the different settings are for tool offset, etc.

we use mainly fine carbide cutting tools with a diameter of around 2 to 3mm, for cutting acrylics and aluminium composites usually with a maximum cut depth of 2mm at a feed rate of 500mm per minute, and usually it sits happy and plods away at it.

4. Jestah

Jestah Veteran
    Builder

I wonder if we could setup a teamvier/remote connect session (as I live down at the bottom of the world in NZ) ? It would be even better if we could some how record it and then post it up for other to see as well! Any one got a good way to do this?

Also don't forget to do the vcarve basic tutorials as they are amazing!

5. Conehead

Conehead Well-Known
    Builder

Hey guys.
    I have been quite busy recently so unfortunately I only had a little bit to play around with my ooznest.
    Last week I did some test carving (dust shoe) and there are some things I have noticed:

1. Circles are not perfectly round, they are a little oval. What might be the problem?
    2. I attached a picture of the last two cuts. Both are made with the same settings and exactly the same wood and used the same bit. The bottom one is way more frayed. How is this possible?
    3. My machine (and/or my wasteboard) seems to be not perfectly flat. When the bit almost touches the wasteboard on the top, there seems to be up to a 2mm difference at the bottom. Does anyone else have this problem or has any idea how to fix it ideally? This makes it really hard to cut stuff with tabs or with a specific depth.

I use a Kress 1050 machine, an arduino board and easel as software.
    And do you have any tips which bits to use for cutting wood and 3d puzzles? Currently I use a 2 flute upcut bit with 1/8" (3,16mm).
    Thanks again for all your great help!

Attached Files:

6. dddman

dddman Master
    Builder

@Conehead
    1. You should check for your X vs Y calibration.
    2. It might just be a dull endmill or cut direction
    3. You can flatten it with a larger router bit, and/or play with your wasteboard crossmembers to adjust them at the same height. It might be the part you cut too that is warped.

7. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

1. Also check your pulley grub screws are tight. Is your xPro in fast decay mode, this helps.
    2. What type of mill are you using?
    3. Maybe worth surfacing your spoiler board so you know it is perfectly square with the cut bit.

Mark Carew likes this.
  8. Robert Towner

Builder

Hi Ryan -
    I know I saw a post somewhere that explained how to tell if we are in fast or slow decay, but now I cat seem to find it. Can you please share this info again.
    Thanks!
    Robert

9. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi Robert,

On the back of the xPro, if you remove the serial sticker, you will see solder jumpers labelled x,y,z,a. If you solder these, it will then be in fast decay, and run much smoother.

Ryan

Robert Towner likes this.
  10. Keith Moreno

Builder

Hello all, I just found this kit and would love to order it. Im in the the US and I'm thinking about the full build kit,1000mmX1500mm. Are their any gotcha or anything I need to understand before ordering? Im going to mainly use it for woodworking, making parts, Etc.

11. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi @Keith Moreno the only things you need apart from our kit, are cutting bits, and MDF Spoiler board. The hardest part isn't building the machine, but learning to use it, specially the CAM Software, and knowing what bits, and speeds etc to use, but it will all come with experience.

12. Keith Moreno

Builder

Thanks for the info. Now to save some money

13. Inaudable

Inaudable New
    Builder

Hi all, I'm wanting to do the z axis mod that mel earp and others have done. So do they add v-slot to the front and back, lower the spoil board supports, then the spoil board itself into the machine?
    I have the 1000 x 750, so it only has the 2 lower spoil board supports, I'm thinking ill need another so that i have one either side, and one down the middle to add a bit of extra support for the spoil board, that is is losing by moving into the machine. does this sound correct?
    Is it all ill need for this mod?

Thanks for any help :) here is a pic of my setup atm.
    2017-01-12 19.13.15.jpg

14. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Nice setup! Yes that is pretty much correct.

15. Redleg

Redleg New
    Builder

Any one on here from north east England.. I'm considering buying one but would love to see one first..

16. vonsy

vonsy New
    Builder

Hi,

Just finish my setup :) here's a live cut.

Cheers.

VooDoo, Inaudable, GrayUK and 2 others like this.