Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OOZnest 1500x1500 Xpro V3: Y axis uneven advancement

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by MplsArtist, May 20, 2017.

1. MplsArtist

Builder

I just finished the build for the OOZnest 1500x1500. The X & Z axis worked perfectly from the start. I am however having problems with the Y axis.

The problem is trying to get the two y axis power pots matched evenly. I started out with both Y-axis motor power pots at the default setting where the slot is horizontal from the 9:00 to 3:00 positions. One side will advance slightly before the other side and then the other side catches up. Sometimes this will produce a loud ratcheting noise on the opposite side. After several attempts, I realized that one side wasn't getting any power so I turned the pot on the powerless side up a bit. Then, that side would be okay and the other side would be lagging and demonstrate the loud ratcheting noise and when listening closely it seem as if that motor was now not receiving any power and the gantry was being advanced by just one motor. So then I try to adjust the power pot on that side to match the other side.

To make a long story short, I'm having great difficulty getting the two power pot adjustments to match exactly so that the two Y-Axis advance evenly. To make it even stranger, I think that going in the Y-negative direction one motor will be working and then coming back to Y-positive direction, the other motor sometimes is the active one.

I have already tried tightening/loosening belts, wheels, eccentric nuts etc and believe to have them even all around. When the power is off, the gantry moves easily along the Y-axis when pushing by hand

Any suggestions or tricks to shorten the frustration curve?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What size motors? Power supply? Wire gauge? etc.

3. MplsArtist

Builder

Everything is stock from the OOZnest kit:

Nema 23's 1.8 step
    24v-360w
    22 awg

4. MplsArtist

Builder

5. MplsArtist

Builder

It seems that I can now do small and large movements without any problem. However, when I send a g-code file for the machine to follow (air, no router bit or pencil), the right Y-axis starts stuttering and racking. From my previous days experience, the right Y-axis motor is doing all the work and the left one is idle, causing the right motor to stutter and rack. Anyone have other ideas? I've tried increasing the power on the left motor but without success.

6. MplsArtist

Builder

Yesterday, I sent this same file and the machine was able to draw a pencil sketch of my design without as much chatter. The larger objects were rendered fairly well, but the smaller objects, especially circles were jagged.