Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by leversole, Nov 4, 2015.

1. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

I have been reading this and other CNC forum non-stop for the last couple of days...the OX has me inspired...have always been a computer nerd AND a fledgling machinist...don't know why I have not went down the CNC path before...anyhow...my current plan is to build an OX more or less with a TinyG controller and nema23 motors...I will learn on this machine and take the next step, and my ultimate goal of building a CNC plasma machine...

I think I have a good handle on how the tinyG and other all in one controllers work, my question is about the larger separate drives, it looks like one drive "box" for each motor, and a "breakout" box to talk to each drive box...is this accurate?

This is a great site and I am sure I will have many more questions!

Leslie

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hey Leslie,

Yes. That's correct. There are separate motor drivers and control board/breakout board (BOB). These are parallel port boards (Though there are ways to connect to usb).

The TinyG, Xpro, and Gshield fall into the category of grbl boards and communicate through usb. They're breakout boards and drivers in one.

There are combination parallel port packages that include the drivers and BOB in one box. The gecko g540 and leadshine mx4660 are two of them.

The control software for grbl is incompatible with lpt port based systems and visa versa.

There are some lpt options that only use proprietary control software as well.

Welcome to the forums.

Joe

3. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Thanks Joe...after I posted this I went to the gecko site and read all I could...probably the plan is to build an ox with TinyG...learn the code, build details, etc...and eventually use Mach3 and a gecko 540 for the plasma table...I am excited to get started...

4. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hey Leversole,
    I'm glad you found geckos site. A lot of handy info there.
    The TinyG is a nice board. Give it 24V and it'll treat you right.
    The OX will be handy for building your plasma. I didn't build an OX, but plan to use my router for a plasma too.
    Good Luck and see you around.

Joe

5. Redneck darrell

Builder

Hi guys I have an ox with the tinyg v8 it works great with fusion 360 and chilipeppr as a router. But my goal was to use it for plasma cutting. I can make a difference file with fusion but chilipeppr won't turn the spin signal on and off when it should. And fusions cutting setup won't use tinyg as a post processor for cutting only milling. And I have tried all the generic ones. Also do i need limit switches? Sorry just new to this and frustrated. Any help would be appreciated