Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mark 1

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Braindice, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

Braindice published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

So some background on this build.

Recently my son talked me into buying a 3D printer. We got the FolgerTech FT5 and I was really fascinated how the Adrino unit and small stepper motors all worked together. Being an electronics guy was very curious and happy to see that parts are available and reasonable in expense. I think 3D printing in its current form is a bit limited (the plastics are way too touchy to do accurate/precise work) but I have always been fascinated by the option of a computer controlled spindle cutter.

I know I will make some mistakes in this build but hopefully we can overcome those limits and build something useful and practical for my business.

THE LINK likes this.
  3. THE LINK

THE LINK New
    Builder

Arduino is fun and cheap untill you need firmware and learn arduino IDE and how to set settings ect.

We due another evolution with 3d printers, resin so Im sticking with T and V slot extrusion and cant wait till its afordable too as 3d printing is not really afordable or 100% stable unless you spend big bucks.

I would keep it simple and get arduino unos or pros and them cheap cnc shields with 4988 drivers. Well thats what im try but I have nodemcu and tfts id like to implement into my builds but arduino libraries availability ect..

Im do a plate maker and moment my extrusion lands I will do a build log. Might have to use some 3d printer bits for now.

What screws you using ect? Any pics or plans? Dimensions?

4. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

So my current control box layout/plan is this:
    Plus some other parts for like emergency stop and such.

Goal at this point is to put together a control box and be able to hook up to computer run gcode to the BOB and show the stepper motors moving as expected before building frame and gantry. After that its really just putting together a frame and gantry that can move. Intend to use belts, pulleys, and plates to build out the actual unit from parts here on OpenBuilds.

I really have nothing other than some back of the envelope drawings and calculations at the moment past the control box.

5. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

So to keep going on my narrative here.

Today I should be getting the project box to mount everything in - I only have a few electronics parts so far but more should be coming next week to start building the control box for real.

6. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

So had a chance to work on the control box -
    I mounted on the control box the E Stop button and a USB port as well as a power plug

Not a ton of work done but gets the few parts I had in a box and ready for stepper controls and such.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

Update: So my original plan was to use the Plant CNC board for the main control. After a lot of research I am going with an arduino uno and a GRBL shield that will output to my stepper drivers. This with Chilipepper should handle the Mark 1 needs.

8. Braindice

Braindice New
    Builder

SO think I finally have all the parts for my control box. Here is a cost rundown of the parts: I'll post some pics after I get everything wired up.

Ardrino UNO R3 $11
    GRBL Shield - with buffer $35
    Aviation Panel Connectors $18
    24V 20 A Power Supply $40
    (3) Stepper Drivers $45
    Project Box $38
    Project Box Mount Plate $21
    USB Tail $9
    Power Cord $10
    Case Fan $3
    E Stop Button $8
    Power Plug/Switch $6