Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking For Experienced Opinions - 40W Chinese Laser Salvage

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by patrickonb, Apr 3, 2017.

1. patrickonb

Builder

Hello Folks,

OK, I've been kicking around the idea of buying one of the 40 watt CO2 Chinese lasers on eBay, then taking it apart for the parts, and building a much larger machine from it. The reason is, I need a machine that can handle parts 36" x 36", and the only Chinese lasers that can do that are to expensive for my little wallet!

So I thought I could grab the laser tube, mirrors, servos, etc., and electronics out of one of those little 40 watt jobs, then build a larger working area using components from Open Builds here, to create a larger machine.

Has anyone else ever done this? Do you think it would be possible?

Just kicking around ideas right now, but I guess if I have to, I will go with one of the 50 watt jobs, although still not as big as I'd like it to be.

Thanks for any input you have,
    Patrick

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

While not exactly designed to use recycled K40 parts, the openBuilds FreeBURN-1 V-slot CO2 Laser (60-100w) should do nicely - most of the parts on its BOM could be reused, with minor changes to the laser head mount (K40 lens holder is horizontal, while this was vertical) and the mirror mounts would have different mountings too. But this should be a good base to build up from.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

MaryD likes this.