Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LCD Based SLA Resin Printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by evilc66, May 3, 2016.

1. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

That's very interesting. With that board, you can do the entire electronics (excluding steppers) for a little over $100!!!

That mod should work for a Pi3, right? The graphics chipset is supposed to be the same, just clocked a little faster.

2. ih8lag

ih8lag New
    Builder

Yes cannot see why it would not work on a pi3 the hardware is extremly similar. I did a reinstall of nanodlp today to verify my settings in the config file and here they are. I am in Canada and already owned a pi2 b+ and i am at about $120 canadian for an ipad screen and the controller with a ramps board and arduino. I figure to build a nice switching powersupply for the 5v and 12v and the stepper i will be about $150 for electronics. The hardware ill be about another $100. Its the resin that is expensive.

disable_overscan=1
    hdmi_cvt 2048 1536 30 1 0 0 0
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
    hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
    start_x=1
    gpu_mem=128
    disable_camera_led=1
    dtparam=i2c1=on
    dtparam=i2c_arm=on

3. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, but still. The initial cost of entry for a very high performance machine (resolution wise, maybe not speed wise) is insanely low. The cost of this entire machine is probably less than the cost of the projector alone for a DLP system with a smaller build area.

4. logical

logical New
    Builder

Hi all,

Very interested in this thread and will be keeping an eye on, well done guys/gals for the progress so far as it made for a very interesting read.

For what its worth, I ordered a Retina Screen over the weekend before seeing this thread and aim to have a close look at, have a fair selection of Tech / Equip here.
    Screen Part Number for the iPad3 LCD I purchased is LP097QX1.

Chris

#184 logical, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. jasperg18

jasperg18 New
    Builder

This all is looking very inspiring! I've been researching a lot lately on how to get in SLA printing cheap and build my own. I will ben following this thread closely and hope to add some info as well!

6. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Glad that you are following along. Hopefully I don't take too long before making some real progress ;)

7. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Looks like the price on this is fluctuating a fair bit. When you posted this, it was about $36. Now it's at $45. That's still a pretty good price for an HDMI to eDP converter.

logical likes this.
  8. logical

logical New
    Builder

That is the exact Video Adapter I was looking at buying for it, still have the option to run a board off here but would mean getting my PCB equip out, I have functional schematics to use it with a DisplayPort BUT would definitely save messing around and as you guessed, would also be wanting to run it from a Pi on NanoDLP.

9. logical

logical New
    Builder

It would be a very interesting concept if the front polariser could be removed allowing the colour filters to be accessed and dissolved/peeled/etched away etc as the price, size and pixel size of the panel would make for some interesting prints.
    I have some older LCD's which I would be willing to take apart for science ;) and try the above on.

10. logical

logical New
    Builder

Scrap that idea, have disassembled a couple of old screens and the thing they share in common is the colour filter is sandwiched between the 2x glass layers, no physical access to it.
    Only viable possibility is to use a blue laser of moderate power to fade the non blue pixels? did see on another thread about bleaching colour with UV but after reading this thread, it would appear that other layers will block UV anyway.

11. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Oh well, you tried :)

I figured that it's probably not going to be the easiest thing to change. Just seems like too high risk. It's a shame that monochrome monitors are so expensive.

12. logical

logical New
    Builder

Totally agree with the mono screens.
    Lasers wise I have quite a few, Co2 would be of no use for stripping the colour filter as the glass would be opaque to that wavelength and destroyed, 405nM/455 would be another option, the blue filters will surely be quite transmissive to it whilst the other colours should in fact be quickly faded by the intensity, is something I will put some more thought in to.
    Main screens I have to play around with (old pile of unused panels) are the LQ043 (PSP series), granted they would be nowhere near ideal pixel density but for something to play with, certainly don't fancy wrecking a few brand new Retina Screens as they make excellent external external screens.

13. Dan Walker

Builder

14. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Really good price, but the size and resolution really kills the effective print resolution. Makes you wonder why, other than volume, they are so **** expensive.

15. WirelessguyNY

Builder

I agree. Only 122ppi Not really a winner on the x/y resolution front

@evilc66 any updates on your experiences (luck with daylight resins, any foray in to UV etc...')???

16. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

I haven't done a thing with this project in a few months. Just been too busy. Once this bathroom reno is done, then I hope to get back to it. Next thing is printing the mount for the LCDs. Once that's done, it should all come together pretty quickly.

AndreMerc likes this.
  17. angelbaby

angelbaby New
    Builder

Anyone have idea of the LCD printer which sold at aliexpress ?

18. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

19. angelbaby

angelbaby New
    Builder

20. angelbaby

angelbaby New
    Builder

You could search "SLA 3d printer" there is some results .

21. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

There's lots of ways I could search for it, but that doesn't mean I'm looking at the same product as you. There are tons of SLA printer options on Aliexpress, so it would be nice if you could provide a direct link to the exact model you are referring to.

22. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

To attach a link, just cut it from your web browser and paste in the text portion of your reply.

23. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

Recognise that avitar, still got your reef tanks

24. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Absolutely! Most of them fell into a bit of neglect once the kids were born, but now that they are older (daughter is 4, son is 2), I have more motivation to keep them in better shape now that they like looking at the fishes. I've managed to get my daughter to call them clownfish now, but they are still "Nemo" to my son :)

I still tinker with the LED lighting all the time though. My C-Beam based printer which I finished recently will be used to make some pretty neat LED stuff soon, but I'm keeping that under wraps for now ;)

25. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

I lost my tank after a heater broke and tripped the RCD, I do miss it but in the end I was spending hours testing water, working out dosing all the fun of an sps the tank.

26. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

I never got hooked on the SPS craze. I like my zoanthids and LPS. I've had some SPS, but I've always kept to easier ones like montipora and the like. My 8.5gal Manta15 (PicoAquariums, 15"x15"x9", all in one) is super simple. No skimmer, no dosing. Just mechanical filtration, a bag of carbon, and 80% water changes every other week.

27. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

I ordered some resin today. Maybe having that inbound will get me to put some time into this printer :)

I ended up ordering a bottle of the Photocentric3D firm resin (in grey if anyone cares), as well as a 500ml bottle of Makerjuice G+ (in red) to see how well it will cure at 460nm. Based on the datasheet I'm sure it will. It's just a matter of how long it will take to cure.

I forgot to mention that I ended up getting a pair of those HDMI to eDP converter boards. Shamefully, I haven't tried them yet :(

28. WirelessguyNY

Builder

I have my bottle of photocentric Amber, low shrinkage, hard, just sitting here awaiting my next move as well. :)

I have not set myself on a specific LCD. Most should work with Daylight resins. I've been considering an 8" model I found with matching LVDS controller.

Many people seem farther along than I am and I'm still hoping that someone figures out a way to use the LCD panels for both UV and daylight (or at lease 405nm I suppose).

My homebrew DLP setup seems to work well at 365nm (or so I guess) but I find the projectors to be bulky, complicated and overall not friendly.

29. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

It's 365nm. These are mercury arc lamps and mercury has a large emission line at 365nm.

[​IMG]

I'm still planning to playing with adding a backlight to the iPad LCD. I'm still nervous about pulling the 4K screen apart due to the cost, but based on the construction, it doesn't look too hard.

30. nano

nano New
    Builder

Hi friends,

Im new here, really fantastic all work i found on this forum, there are many people here that are working very hard..:):)

I've been dreaming of manufacture a large format printer, I do not have as much knowledge as you do in this.... try to understand all these concepts and learn everything I can....

My dreaming will be have a 40-50" printer, yes i see the large format f¡rom photocentics, but think uv will better so will work faster....

I will try to learn as much as possible of you and see if at the end you find a real solution that allows the conversion of a 4K screen for this purpose:):)

Thanks for all

nando