Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Just Starting

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by JasonW, Aug 24, 2015.

1. JasonW

JasonW New
    Builder

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Not bad Jason.
    There are some typos on page 9.
    Also, I would remove all personal references as if you were presenting this to higher ups, fellow team leaders, and/or your team of engineers. This is normally the case in industry (not so much when it's your team)
    When your at the point of having developed a Gantt chart everyone involved knows what the equipment is used for and why the specific design was chosen (which will be modified throughout the timeline!). With that in mind, before you start you may want to have a short premise slide or statement to set this tone for your presentation. This may include a brief description of cnc, what work the equipment is needed for or capable of, and why the specific design was chosen (budget constraints, size, ease of operation, ease of repair, cost to benefit analysis told you so...etc).
    You may want to incorporate a few "refresher" pages or diagrams into the presentation showing where you have been along the line and where your headed. This tends to keep more of your audiences attention. It makes it easier to follow along without getting lost. I've learned that this technique comes in handy with longer project presentations and to groups that may not understand some of the details of a project.

Just some ideas. Welcome to the forums.

Joe

3. Tracy Ranson

Tracy Ranson Well-Known
    Builder

Jason,

I think that your Gantt chart looks good and even though it looks good I think the chart is missing something but I am not an engineer so I really could not put my finger on it. Perhaps adding more on topic specific details for each segment would provide a clearer path into the understanding of what the pictures represent. If you are presenting the Gantt chart to engineers perhaps gear it towards the terminology that an engineer would understand. Sorry that I am not much help.

Best of Luck to you and I hope to see the pictures of your machine build soon.

Tracy

4. Kevin Perkins

Builder

Very good to start with Jason, Joe has made some valid points, if you will be presenting your work as part of your MSC, otherwise if its just for openbuilds, then what you are doing is fine.

5. JasonW

JasonW New
    Builder

Thank you all for your input. I have edited the PowerPoint from the input received. I should also mention that this is an online class and I will not actually be presenting this live. The instructor has asked that we put in the notes portion, what we would say as if we were presenting this live. I will keep you updated on my build (after the class is over)...LOL

6. JasonW

JasonW New
    Builder

Well I got an A on my project and class is almost over. Now onto the build. Does anyone have any input on using a belt versus acme screw? Also what about using two motors to drive in that direction? From some reading I have done, I see that you have to make one of the motors a alave to the other one?

7. Tracy Ranson

Tracy Ranson Well-Known
    Builder

Lead screw is the rotational translation to linear motion driven by a screw using a stepping motor to turn the screw. Lead screw has the potential to have high resolution but can exhibit backlash in many places in the mechanism, especially through temperature change. Roller chain is the translation of motor rotation to linear motion by means of turning a sprocket or drive pulley on a roller chain or timing belt. The roller chain or timing belt is always in tension, so backlash through this specific mechanism is minimal to none. Since there is extremely little to no backlash, microstepping will enhance the resolution and meet or exceed the effective resolution of the lead screw. Roller chain or timing belt also allows the motor to use low RPM which increases the torque at any given speed as compared to the lead screw.