Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Iwan Müller, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Iwan Müller

Iwan Müller Well-Known
    Builder

Iwan Müller published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Absolutely brilliant Iwan. :thumbsup:

What will you think of next ??

Tweakie.

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Love it @Iwan Müller and yes this is a perfect project for OpenBuilds :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing.
    Now you know we will need video of this in action!

4. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

Fantastic idea ! :thumbsup:

I could of used one of those a few years back; had this 8+ foot tall hedge, just 100' or so long, but a pain to trim ... going up and down a ladder, reaching way over as the thing was growing wide (was probably 6+' before moving out) just as fast as it could grow tall ! :duh: :eek: Was thinking of using extra wide snowshoes to walk on top of it at one point. Or just to trim it down to the roots ! :nailbite:

How far a reach are you planning to have ? Is the ground level or will your hedger adjust as you roll around ?

Got to find a rotary conical "blade" to start carving 3D designs in your hedge. GPS or some machine readable markings to avoid any shifting over time ... throw in some quadcopter technology (sensors of multiple degrees of motion, ...) :rolleyes: ... could just follow hedge on its own while you enjoy a cool drink (or two) in the shade. :cool:

Edward Scissorhands move over !! :jawdrop:

5. Iwan Müller

Iwan Müller Well-Known
    Builder

@Serge yes I had something in mind like that. Years ago I watched a excavator at work and the operator showed me the autoleveling function of his machine. He could pull down the joystick how much he liked, but the shovel just stopped at the right moment to create a smooth and level ground. So I hoped I could achieve something like that with my Hedgetrimmer. So far I can adjust the hight electrical with two (up and down) buttons. And yes I already bought one of these quadcopter circuits boards - now I just have to figure it out how to apply :rolleyes:

@kram242 The video will follow as soon as the season for trimming is starting again.

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

7. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known
    Builder

with and encoder on one of the wheels you could keep track of the distance you have traveled. And if you have that info, you could easily use that info to program a pattern. Also, if you had a distance measurement to the ground, you could maintain a level cut regardless of change in elevation. I can think of a few ways to get that info too.

8. Bad Sequel

Bad Sequel Well-Known
    Builder

This build was a perfect companion to today's first cup of coffe! Fantastic! :thumbsup:

9. Iwan Müller

Iwan Müller Well-Known
    Builder