Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Has anyone mitred vslot linear rails together?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by PhotoSgt85, Feb 2, 2017.

1. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Well-Known
    Builder

Just wondering if anyone has done this as I think it would impove the look of some builds (mainly mine). My thought is using two hidden 90 makerlinks, one inverted with longer set screws and the other as normal. miter the corners well and I think that the vslot could make some good looking end products that look more finished. Just a thought.

MaryD likes this.
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I don't recall anyone having posted on it. You might model it up in Sketchup or Fusion though. I think you'll find that if you're going for aesthetics, you probably don't want the makerlinks on the outside face going around the corner. The pure anodized aluminum look with everything coming to a point will be much cleaner.

3. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Well-Known
    Builder

I'll model it in Solid works as soon as I'm back at work. (Still haven't figured out Fusion and have forgotten most of what I knew in sketch up) I agree about the maker link on the exterior not looking as good but I am also concerned with rigidity. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You could always take the flat 90s and grind the square off the corner down to a clean L to where they could be installed in the top and bottom edges...