Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Handy inch/mm chart upgrade 2015-01-27

PDF's of Robert Hummel's upload of Feb 4 2014

1. HLClarkson

Builder

HLClarkson submitted a new resource:

Handy inch/mm chart upgrade - PDF's of Robert Hummel's upload of Feb 4 2014

Read more about this resource...

2. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks, much appreciated.

----

What is it with these 'standards' ? The same 'gage' is different thickness depending on the material.

In the case of wire gage the larger the number, the smaller the wire. They quickly ran out of numbers and had to do 0, 00 , 000 and even 0000 gage for the bigger cables ! Had they stayed with actual diameter it would be much easier for everyone, no ?

It is like buying a 2x4 which is closer to 1.5"x3.5" depending on the mill, humidity, etc. Do a project, buying wood from two or more stores and you are ... screwed.

That's like the 12 oz steak at a restaurant : it's close to 12 oz BEFORE cooking (as if they could cut each one dead on 12 oz each time, 12 oz you actually get to it as well). You better hope there was not loads of fat, other waste like a big bone or overcooking, otherwise you end up with a single bite :mad:

Why can't we call an inch an inch or a mm a mm ? A rose by any other name is still a rose, right ? There would not be a need for charts !

Next time I buy an item tagged a 1$ I'll give them 75 cents not a 1.13$ :thumbsup:

Sorry, just venting as I try to live with all these "useful" standards.

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Love these thank you for sharing, got them on the wall already!
    20150129_091108 (600 x 337).jpg