Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fitting Dual Belt

Discussion in 'Helpful Tools' started by GrayUK, Jan 13, 2015.

1. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

This Video is with the Compliments of: Martin.Barfoed

It is a very clear and useful video on how to fit the Dual Belt System.

Enjoy

Many Thanks Martin :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gray

sgspenceley likes this.
  2. 1972

1972 New
    Builder

I'm in the process of setting up my dual belt OX and Martins video explained some problems I didn't even know I had, so thanks for taking the time to make it! and thanks to Gary for posting it here.

I'd just add that when sticking the belt to the v-slot I needed to clean the back face of the belt with some isopropanol (brake cleaner/carb cleaner etc.) as there was still some residue on it that was preventing it sticking to the v-slot.

Thanks,
    Chris

3. matthewb

matthewb New
    Builder

Ok ... so with the Dual belt system.....
    Can we use a short closed loop for the upper driven belt?
    If the only loaded part of the belt is effectively the short bit between the stepper and the idle wheels either side ( where it meshes with the lower belt) it seems unnecessary to run the top belt the full length of the axis.

any thoughts?

I would try it myself... but im waiting for plates before i can start!

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A tractor drive scenario might work but you'll find yourself spending more on the short belt than you would on the belt as shown. You need to think in terms of the belt having to be inside out for the teeth to mesh with the bottom track which means you'll need a couple of idler pulleys to reverse loop the around the drive gear which adds additional cost. And using a double sided belt to eliminate the need for the idler pulleys won't work because the belt would be too thick to fit beneath the V wheels. Also with the bottom belt exposed with the teeth up, you increase the issues with debris getting between the teeth and locking up the drive train.

5. matthewb

matthewb New
    Builder

ok, so yes 2 more idler pulleys isnt a problem, debris could be depending on application.
    I am building a router as a small scale learning process towards an eventual goal of building a 9m x 1.5m plotter/cutter. The BIG machine wont have any issue with debris The cost of a 9m belt is significant and so a "tractor drive" system may be better than the alternative, which as far as i can see is rack and pinion with a belt glued to the axis as per Carlson design plotter cutters. But i am not wedded to any idea yet!
    Can you see any other issues with the "tractor drive" idea?

edit, on the debris issue, it would require a redesign and i guess it wouldnt be worth it for all the other compormises you would have to make but you could mount the motors and the belt below the extrsusion

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you are looking to do something similar to the machine in the link provided, a tractor drive shouldn't be a problem as the belts could be set vertically in the outside face of the extrusion. That's also not a high debris type machine. If you'd like to discuss where you're headed with it and get some input/ideas, start a discussion in Concepts and Ideas.

7. Rustem Asadulin

Builder

plywood plates?are they strong enough?thanks!

8. Hamdi Hirzallah

Builder

This looks neat, like it would eliminate the problem of linear actuators for very long runs.
    this might be just what I'm looking for, thanks man.