Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Difference between wheels.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Caleb, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Caleb

Caleb New
    Builder

Hi, what is the difference between dual vwheels, solid vwheels, aluminum vwheels, and extreme v wheels? thanks!

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The Delrin Dual V-wheels and the Metal Dual V-wheels are for use with the OpenRail linear rail system (http://openbuildspartstore.com/openrail-black-anodized/) which is attached to the V-slot rail. The V in the wheels rides along the point of the Openrail track. The Delrin version is functionally the better of the two as the wheels roll quieter and cause less wear on the track than the metal dual V-wheels. The metal wheels are actually chrome steel and with a lot of use can potentially wear down the aluminum rail causing looseness in the system.

[​IMG]

The Solid V-Wheels and the Extreme V-Wheels are of a similar shape and they ride down in the slot of the V-slot railing. The difference between the two is durability. The Solid V-Wheels are made of Delrin plastic and the Extreme V-wheels are made of polycarbonate. The Delrin version is more than adequate for most applications and the Extreme version has been tested to handle very high loads.

[​IMG]

It should be noted that both styles of the Dual V-wheels have the same outer shape as the regular Solid V-wheels and can run in the slots of the regular V-slot railing but the Delrin version has been found to be a little less stiff than the regular Solid V-wheels resulting in a little more flex in the system. Scanning through the build section, you'll probably notice that the vast majority of the projects are built with the regular Solid V-wheels.

The Mini V-wheels function similarly to the Solid V-wheels, they just use a reduced center-to-center spacing on the mounting plates.

I hope this helps.

Rick.

3. Caleb

Caleb New
    Builder

Thank you so much for replying! what modeling software do you guys use? Do make 3d models of machines with openbuilds linear railing? I am designing a 3d printer and wanted to use openbuilds linear railing but am not sure which modeling software to use? Thanks!

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I can't speak for everyone but I use Sketchup. The pre-modeled shapes and plates for Sketchup can be found in the Resources Section as well as numerous other locations throughout the forum.

Good luck with the printer build.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Daniel Langstaff

Builder

I've been using fusion 360. I'm loving it. Easiest engineering project I've had in a while.

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If you choose Sketchup, you can download all open builds parts into your drawing from the "3D warehouse" in Sketchup.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. ReneX

ReneX New
    Builder

So when is using the Dual V-wheels more appropriate than using the standard (I think you guys call it solid) wheels? In other words what would necessitate needing the Dual V-wheels? Or to be more blint, why bother going into all the trouble of using the OpenRail linear rail system (having to purchase and assemble extra parts) when the standard V-Slot railing *appears* to work just a good?

Thanks.

8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Functionally never. They're a leftover from the dark ages. I'm not totally certain of the chronological timeline and the exact history of all the various parts but I believe open rail was developed to attach to T-slot extrusions which would allow T-slot to function in a similar manner to MakerSlide extrusion. Dual V-wheels were initially used with V-slot then the Solid V-wheels came along and everyone pretty much switched over to them as the solid wheels were stiffer.

So not saying V-wheels and OpenRail are not useful but that they're used in specialized applications rather than as the norm.