Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cnc Xpro V3 - grbl problems.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Jaco_vh, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Jaco_vh

Jaco_vh New
    Builder

Hi!

I'm building a adapted OX cnc.
    Everything is wired and jogging around works just fine.
    I'm using a 24V power supply with a CNC xpro V3 board, nema 23 motors, mechanical limit switches and universal G code sender.

I'm experiencing following problems:

1. Jogging on 1 axis is working fine. However, when I give the command to run on more than 1 axis the board or software sometimes freezes, all axes come to a sudden stop. On the board, the motor LED's are lid up, closing and reopen the COM port doesn't help. It doesn't reply on any command... I have to unplug the USB and restart the board.

2. I often get an ALARM message in UGS, first I thought it was a false hard limit trigger. I used a oscilloscoop to check the noise, I is well bellow 500mV. To be sure is changed $10 to value 19, so I can see the state of the limit switches. The response is always limit 000 except when I trigger it :)
    So why does GRBL goes into alarm?

I ran the software on a Mac, now I'm testing it on a Windows but the same errors occur.
    I hope someone can help me because I'm out of solutions...

Anyone has experience with upgrading CNC xpro V3 to grbl 1.1? Does it works fine?
    And what about Candle instead of UGS?

Thanks in advance!
    Hope to find some solutions here :) so I can go carve some things!

2. Carl W. Livingston

Builder

Hi,

You specify the power supply voltage output and the stepper motor size but... You haven't disclosed the maximum output capability of the power supply or the operating current of the individual motor windings. You also don't specify at to the method the motors are being driven - unipolar or bipolar and whether you are using external drivers or drivers internal to the controller board, Case in point, I have a Sherline 1000 mill and a OpenBuilds 'C' frame XL router. Both use external Gecko G210 stepper drive modules because the winding current of the motors that I am using exceeds that of the Grbl pro-v3 controllers I'm using. Also, I'm using a 24VDC @ 10 ampere switching power supply ---> WITH <--- 100 micro-farad capacitors at the power supply input terminals of each stepper drive and the controller PCB.

The For bipolar motors, power supply should be capable of supplying the fill rated current for all of the motor windings at the same time as, they are continuously under power.

Also, make sure that the motor winding leads are not running parallel and near the step/direction control lines and other control wiring.

If using external stepper motor drivers, such as say, a Gecko G210, run the controller power lines directly to the power supply and each stepper driver with a separate and independent from each other and the controller. Run heavy wire say, 16-Ga. stranded between the power supply and the stepper drives/controller - again, this should be a star configuration.

It also would not hurt by placing a say, 10 - 100 micro-farad electrolytic capacitor at the power entry terminals of each stepper motor driver, as well as the controller.

I hope this provides some direction as to what you need to be looking at, as your first troubleshooting considerations.

And... be sure you fuse the controller and each stepper drive with fuses rated about 10% to 15% greater than the device they are supplying. So you know, the fuses are NOT there to protect the devices; rather, the fuses are there to protect the wiring and power supply. We wouldn't want to have to get out the fire extinguisher in the event of a catastrophic failure!

3. Jaco_vh

Jaco_vh New
    Builder

Hi Carl,

I'm only using the CNC xpro v3 board with no additional drivers.
    The power supply is 24V 14,6A.
    Motors are 4 wire bipolar.

I did some additional testing and the problem is that GRBL always restarts.
    Hard limit and homing are disabled. Microswitches disconnected.
    Still the CNC comes to a sudden stop.

4. Jaco_vh

Jaco_vh New
    Builder

Seems to be a problem with the z-axis. Grbl goes into reset when using jogging around with it...

5. Jaco_vh

Jaco_vh New
    Builder

Found the problem :-(

IMG_0647kopie.jpg

6. kelley simonds

Builder

Me too, it's complete junk. Most unreliable piece of hardware I have ever owned.