Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

CNC xPRO Driver

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Michael, May 25, 2014.

1. Kevin Henning

Kevin Henning Well-Known
    Builder

Beëlzeblub, I don't have limit switches on my machine and generally I don't need them. However there is one situation where I think they would have made my life easier. There was one thing that I was cutting where I needed to change the end mill for one of a different size. That was the one situation where I think limit switches would have made my life easier since I accidentally moved the router in the X and Z axes; it meant that I needed to go and completely re-setup the work origin.

I've got the switches but have yet to install them; since I can see doing a cutter change again in the future I plan to install them at some point. For sure I intend to install switches to allow me to do homing to "0" on all three axes. I will likely also install switches for the maximum X and Y travel since I hate hearing the growling when it reaches the end.

2. RobertM Lucas

Builder

Though you may find it necessary, infections can occur and lead to irritated fingers

3. Jaco_vh

Jaco_vh New
    Builder

Hello,

I'm using a xpro v3 to drive my ox cnc.
    Jogging around with works fine, just until I hit the button return to zero.
    1 out 3 times the machine starts and then comes to a sudden stop.
    Grbl restarts out of the blue, with the message 'grbl 0.9j ('$' for help)

I already disabled hard limits and homing. Problem occurs in Universal g code sender and ChiliPepper.
    Drivers and motors doesn't feel hot.
    What could be the problem?
    This is driving me nuts...
    Help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

4. Rob Mitchell

Rob Mitchell Journeyman
    Builder

What is required to upgrade the V3 board to support GRBL 1.0c? What will change?

*Originally I said I had the V2 board, I've corrected to reflect that I have V3 board.

#694 Rob Mitchell, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. Jim Chadwick

Builder

Just a suggestion, look at the Power Supply!
    Pressing the Home Button will start all of the Steppers at the same time putting the power supply under probably its maximum load, this could cause spikes on the supply rails which in turn could corrupt the USB signal or the Microprocessor. Just a thought, hope you get it sorted

6. Rob Mitchell

Rob Mitchell Journeyman
    Builder

V3 Board Issue - X-Axis stalls during cuts
    Video of the problem:

During a cut, x-axis will fail resulting in the cut moving only on the Y and Z axis. As in the video you will see the board driver indicator light will turn a slight amber color, not bright orange/red or green as the other axis drivers.

I've tried swapping the stepper wires from another axis to rule out a bad stepper however this resulted in the x-axis stepper working as expected running on the Y-axis driver for instance. So this rules out the bad motor.

I've tried adjusting the current pot up and down and still it stalls. As you will see in the video I have heat sinks and fan cooling, so it's not overheating.

@Michael recall this is the board you sent me, any idea what could be going on here. I'm really not looking forward to sending this back given the history of V2 board and the long turn around time in shipping.

Thanks

7. Serge E.

Serge E. Master
    Builder

Check your settings for rapids and acceleration, it might be the issue. I forget what they are for that version of GRBL. Too high and the steppers will loose steps or just freeze until power is removed from them (not the controller itself).

I scratched my head for months (!) when my Z (lead screw) would do the random freeze / miss steps for long moves, not short ones. Many tried to help until someone got me on track (with the previous version of GRBL, one parameter for all three axis). I had boosted those two (rapids, acceleration) when surfacing an oak slab, very little Z movement. When I started doing normal work, my Z would randomly loose steps or freeze. Changed rapids and acceleration to more reasonable values for lead screw - problem fixed. The version you have has each parameter for each axis. So you could push the belt driver axis more than the lead screw driven axis.

8. Jaco_vh

Jaco_vh New
    Builder

Found the problem, cnc xpro board was damaged. Replaced 2 caps, now it is working fine. Think I received a damaged board... Anyway it's working great now. No homing or limit switch problems.
    Turned the pod for the current to a higher level and the cloned motor issue was resolved.
    Thanks for the answers.

9. Ryan Turner

Builder

Hey guys, I am new here and just discovered this CNC xPro forum.

So my current set up is Fusion 360 - and Estlcam - ChiliPeppr connected to a Pi running JSON 1.9 connected to a CNC xPro V2 OX with GRBL 0.9J from Ooznest. Stock settings for GRBL specified by ooznest.

I've noticed pauses when jogging with ChiliPeppr and if I press hold during a job, then resume the CNC seems to go off in a random direction. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am also curious is there is a way to connect to the CNC xPro wirelessly without a pi and JSON

btw, I gave GRBL 1.1 a go with ChiliPeppr Jpadie and although stepper movement seems much smoother its far from operational with the CNC xPro at them mo, but then 1.1, has quite a few changes. so I went back to 0.9 and Chilipeppr original.

Thanks for any input.

10. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Master
    Builder

How does the machine operate directly when using a USB Cable? I used to use Chilipeppr and a pi, but found it a little bit temperamental, like what you experienced, so stopped using it now. Spark concepts do have these coming soon: RN42 blueBee

I have a prototype one, and it works flawlessly, even easier than USB.

11. Ryan Turner

Builder

It seems to work fine with USB but I hate wires. Incidentally, I did the fast decay mod the other day and I used chilipeppr to do a 3 hour job cutting out about 30 HDPE spacers. It's working much better and there is no delay jogging.

I'm going to experiment with GRBL 1.1 and UGS Platform and give jpadie another go. I'm not much of a fan of the original UGS, I always end up forgetting to change the z steps and slamming it into its limit.

My main issue with Bluetooth is that my workshop is at the back of the garden. If I want to pop in the kitchen I doubt it will keep its Bluetooth connection. A Bluetooth repeater won't work either as that will have to be in the garden.

Someone has recently got chilipeppr working on a pi, so I might give that a go.

Thinking about it, I already control the pi via remote desktop and the pi is mounted to the carriage of the OX.

So, I could try using UGS platform on the Pi, setting up a network share so I can drag files over and use UGS via a remote desktop.

Whereabouts do people have the current set on the little dials by the way?

12. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Master
    Builder

@Ryan Turner Sounds like a plan to me!

About 1/8th turn from full i have them

13. alkobra1394

Builder

It supports Laser engraving ?