Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Bot

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Carl Feniak, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Split files attached

Attached Files:

2. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

And here they are:
    The XY Bar End (H Bar End) has a gap in it to allow a standard run of 12V LEDs to be stuck tot he extrusion behind.
    IMG_1012.JPG

The dual carriage currently only has one hotend on it as I need to print the filament holder and extruder drive parts yet. It will just be a mirror of my latest setup. Note that the position of the left hotend is fixed but that the right has +/- 1 mm play for alignment purposes.
    IMG_1013.JPG

Alternate Z axis endstop. Also you to use a shorter M5 bolt and easily adjust the endstop up and down for coarse adjustment. Still has the M5 bolt for fine tuning.
    IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1015.JPG

Attached Files:

Guilhaume likes this.
  3. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for splitting and adding the LED groove, I am printing them now. I am printing in PETG from eSun, nice filament. makes strong flat parts.

I didn't see any stl's for the bracket that holds the acme nut. I think that's it. Hopefully they get some more stock of 20x20 in black.

I am just waiting to get all the parts printed, BOM is finalized. 12"x12"x20" should be the final volume. Going with a mightyboard, only because thats what i know, going to mount dual direct extruders, parallel to the gantry bar, on a custom wide aluminum cooling bar.

DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0151.JPG DSC_0153.JPG

4. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Love the deep blue color, looks great. With a 12"x12" bed, have you considered going with a larger 20x60 extrusion for the Z assembly? NICKM shared some Z ends you may want to use.

5. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

Because of the large build area I am going to use three lead screws and not cantilever the bed. 36t pulleys and a center idler plate to ensure maximun tooth contact.

Carl Feniak likes this.
  6. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

That would definitely provide a stable base and eliminate any deflection. Lead screws or threaded rod? 1 motor? What size motor are you thinking?
    Earlier someone mentioned they were looking to use a 8lb lava rock heated bed... I think this would be the solution! Please share pics when you get to that point.

7. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

Lead screws absolutely. would be a shame to sully a great design like this with threaded rod. Zen Toolworks makes a 8*8 with a 5mm turned down end, with that screw and 17t pulleys, i can just tell my slicer its a rep 1 . http://zentoolworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_15&products_id=125 My Z height will be whatever i can get from those. I have modified your z motor mounts to take a 5mm flange bearing, the screw just sits on the bearing. My hope is use a nema 17 motor, I am scared of the power needed of the 23's. I am going to modify a4988 driver to deliver 1.5A from the mightyboard, and use the nice kysan steppers. If you want to see my model of a z stage look at " ulti-replicator 2 ". I will definitely post some pics.

Did my question about the acme nut bracket get lost?

8. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

I can share mine when I get home. I didn't like my design and thought people would use the OpenBuilds ones instead. Yours are similar to what I have so they might work for you.

9. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

You have more experience with the vrail then i do, two questions.

http://openbuildspartstore.com/8mm-lead-acme-nut-block/

I initially didn't look at these, because they were mounted inline with the v-rail. It states that you need to mount it across two rails, do you think that it could be mounted perpendicular to the v-rail, using two t-nuts in the same groove? I would like to reduce the number of printed parts wherever i can.

http://openbuildspartstore.com/threaded-rod-plate/

Do you think that this would work for my application? the single rail for attachment really scares me. I would essentially be cantilevering my whole Z weight on maybe 3 screws x 3 plates? Makes me wish i had a laser to marry the double rows of mounting on the motor mount to the threaded rod plate.

10. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

http://openbuildspartstore.com/8mm-lead-acme-nut-block/
    Yes, I think if you mount it rotated 90 degrees it will be fine. The only issue is that you will need a spacer(s) to move it off the extrusion to align with the motor shaft. I haven't designed one as I didn't use this part, but you should be able to get away with a non-printed spacer until the printer is up and running. Nominally a nema 17 is 21mm from the side to the shaft centre. This block 6mm to center, so you will need to space it 15mm off the extrusion.

http://openbuildspartstore.com/threaded-rod-plate/
    This will also work for you. Keep in mind that this plate is aluminum and not plastic, M5 bolts are pretty beefy, the cantilevered distance is small, and that you will have 3 support locations.

You are going with a standard glass bed with PCB heat?

11. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

Yes, 12v heated bed with glass. You are correct about the spacing, your nut bracket will line up with your motor mount, much better. I can move the bearing location some, but I need to leave room for the large diameter pulleys, either 36 or 40t, haven't decided yet

12. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Here is the nut catch I used. It was specifically designed to fit the lead screw nuts I had from ebay and since there are cheaper sources available now, I didn't recommend them to others.

Attached Files:

13. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

I just found out that a local supplier is now selling eSun filament for $30CAD per roll so I am going to pick some of that blue up in the new year.

14. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

15. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

Somewhat OT, i was going back reading the thread. All the core z talk reminded me of this. Ryan Carlyle's 4 motor, 3 axis gantry, core xyz
    [​IMG]

16. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Wow, I haven't seen that before. That is an impressive arrangement!

17. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

started to print the gantry slider this morning. It looks like the clamps for the extruder are slightly elevated from the slide pieces. should be interesting to see how this prints.

upload_2014-12-12_8-46-55.png

18. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

I just separated the bowden mount from the gantry plates. If you need them your slicer will put them on the plate. I have yet to print them, but the toolpath looks correct in S3D

Attached Files:

19. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, sorry. You are not the first to have this issue so I should just fix it. If you use the split objects option in slic3r then it will drop all the objects to the build plate.

20. NickM

NickM New
    Builder

Attached Files:

MichaelS likes this.
  21. NickM

NickM New
    Builder

Oh, and here's a picture of it.

IMG_0757.JPG

Balu, Guilhaume, DiggerJ and 3 others like this.
  22. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Looks solid, mind if I add a copy to the files page of this build?

23. NickM

NickM New
    Builder

Please feel free to add it to the files.

24. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

I have got to take a pic of all the parts printed. That blue PETG looks beautiful. My UPS man will love me later this week while he delivers 11M of vrail.

25. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

sorry for the poor lighting DSC_0209.JPG DSC_0213.JPG DSC_0218.JPG DSC_0219.JPG

Attached Files:

DiggerJ and Carl Feniak like this.
  26. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

#176 Carl Feniak, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  27. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

Have a source for black M5 nylock?

28. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

When I tired Amazon.ca I didn't get any results.

I am in Alberta, Canada.
    I used to get my plastic here but they cut their selection down significantly: http://revolution3dprinters.com/
    At the same time, these guys just started carrying plastic: http://www.protodrake.ca/3d-printer-filament-free-shipping/
    Lots of colors, but only ABS and PLA

The recently these guys started carrying eSun, but only ABS and PLA for now.
    https://solarbotics.com/search/filament/
    hopefully PETG next year.

29. Adam Filipowicz

Adam Filipowicz Journeyman
    Builder

I have a Makerfarm i3v 12", would i be able to use the Rambo to run this setup?

30. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Yep, Rambo can be flashed with Marlin and Marlin supports coreXY movement (I am using Marlin on Ramps1.4).