Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Stock Frustration

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Kevin Justice, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Kevin Justice

Builder

OK, I'm venting. I have been planning my build for some time and after I found out about Openbuilds have been telling a lot of people about it. In the end it will probably be around $800 for Openbuilds (it's going to be a large 3d printer. I placed a big order on black Friday for the initial parts. At first I was going to use 1m C Beam but before I could place my order it was out. Reconfigured for 1.5M c beam. Ordered and paid for.

And now I get an email 1 week later that it was cancelled from my order with no ETA. Still shows up on the site as in stock though. I've requested they honor the price when it's back in stock - we shall see.

So it takes a week to figure out you are out of stock? I was thinking you'd be shipping Monday or maybe Tuesday, not waiting til Friday just to send me an email. And no, the rest of the order hasn't shipped either. Not sure what you are waiting for.

I'm very frustrated right now with Openbuilds. If you are going to have a sale, you honor the orders and you start ship them the next business day. My next project was going to be an Openbuilds CNC machine. But obviously my first dealings with Openbuilds has left me questioning my choice.

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Where are you from?

3. Slobberknocker

Builder

I had the same problem. I placed a large order on black Friday and was notified on Wednesday that the 1500 mm "c" beam was on back-order. The rest of my order was shipped.

Then later Wednesday evening the c beam was back in stock according to the web site. So i reordered it again. The order is still showing and I haven't received anything one way or another.

Then the c beam showed on back-order again on Thursday. Just checked again and it shows available again! Im convinced they are messing with my head now.

dddman...Im in Washington state...what will you charge me to send a couple 1500 mm c beams my way?

4. Kevin Justice

Builder

I'm in Salisbury MD.

5. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

To Washington state, kind of crazy... CAD$85 so around USD$65

6. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

To Maryland, around CAD$65 so around USD$50

7. Slobberknocker

Builder

$65 shipped for 2? Or is that each?

8. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Just for the shipping :p I estimated an order of 30 pounds (as I assume you'll need more stuff :) as the Canadian dollar is so low :p). You can go on my website to see the prices and estimate an order

9. Slobberknocker

Builder

Haha...capitalism at its best! There is hope for Canada yet!

Well...if openbuilds lets me know soon about my order, I will order them from you. Do you accept Paypal? Could you send me a payment request for 2-1500 mm c beams shipped to Spokane, WA. I dont need anything more than that at this point. Email is [email protected]
    Appreciate it!

10. Slobberknocker

Builder

BTW...just check OBs store and the 1500 mm c beam is still available, but the 1000 mm is now showing out of stock.

11. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Spokane, WA huh.. Nice! I am a couple hours away in the Columbia basin now, but most of my family is still there so I am up your way almost monthly.
    Do we have a PNW distributor? hmm something I might consider looking into. :)

In all honesty this was a big sale for openbuilds they are not a large chain like wall mart. Things get back ordered. But rest assured the parts team will take care of you and your order! I have had nothing but good dealings with the openbuilds store and their distributor's..

#11 Kyo, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Mark Carew likes this.
  12. Kevin Justice

Builder

I wasn't expecting WalMart. But I was expecting more than what seems to be some guy out of his basement (a whole week with just an email?). They had other stuff run out of stock - if their inventory was correct it would not have been an issue. That's how e-commerce systems work. So maybe something happened and they ran out. Is it right just to cancel that part of my order? It's not like I can easily get this stuff elsewhere. And where are the openbuilds staff? Not reading their internal messaging system or keeping up on their forums. Maybe my expectations are too high but this is not how I would run a retail shop.

If they were so backed up with orders, they should say so! Put a message up. "Sorry for the delay but we got inundated...".

13. Slobberknocker

Builder

No distributor I know of here in the N.W. Look into it. Ill buy from you!

14. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hey guys,
    We do apologize for the delay in response as well as the order mishap that occurred.
    @Kevin Justice and @Slobberknocker you are correct we did have an inventory hiccup that allowed for a few out of stock items to be ordered. It threw us for a loop for a bit, but thankfully the shopping cart company that we use has since corrected this and we are quickly getting back on track.
    As @Kyo (thank you) stated this was a large sale for the OpenBuilds Team and everyone is really excited and working overtime pushing to ensure that all orders are packed and shipped as soon as possible.
    Thank you to @dddman for stepping in to help provide C-Beam so these guys can continue their Builds :thumbsup:
    We really appreciate all the support the community shows OpenBuilds as well as the understanding and patience that we have received. OpenBuilds is growing and we have you to thank. Its going to be exciting new year with many new Builds and opportunities.
    Thank you

15. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I am am always curious when I read these "venting" posts on various sites, and I was wondering if, prior to going to the forum to complain, did you contact Openbuilds via email? I ran into the exact same problem, emailed them my concerns, and they were professional and responsive to my needs. It is really none of my business, but I was just curious.

Mark Carew likes this.
  16. Slobberknocker

Builder

I think that more than complaining, its more of a probing to see if anyone else has had the same experience or if they are on an island by them selves. No body likes to be alone.

But some really do just like to complain!

Im glad Kevin posted since I was having the same issue. Im also glad Mark had the opportunity to address the issue in a public way for everyone to see. Problem solved.

Mark Carew likes this.
  17. Slobberknocker

Builder

Oh...and I was able to find another distributor that was able to help me out. I dont know if I would have discovered that by emailing my concerns exclusively to openbuilds.:)

18. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

True.

I also should have used the word "vent" a second time rather than the word "complain."