Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C beam build for guitars

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Edadmartin, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Edadmartin

Builder

hi, I build acoustic arch top guitars.these have bent sides and carved tops and backs,so I'm wondering if the c beam type build would work for rough carving the concave and convex arches,if so this would save me tons of time and stress on my hands. I'd still do final carving by hand. I do not need a 36 x 48" table,space is at a premium. My back blank for instance is 1.5" x 20"x 24" so the machine could be small. I'd probably never need to rout any pieces larger than 2'x2'. The router could be as small as a 1hp. Suggestions? Thanks

GrayUK likes this.
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would suggest one of the designs created around the new C-Beam XL Gantry Plate. It'll offer good repetitive carving movements and can be built fully with off the shelf components so no custom plates are required. Sketchup downloads can be found here.

[​IMG]

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Indeed, a CNC machine of the CBeam type would be ideal. :thumbsup:
    The main concern would be the placing of the timber in some sort of jig or template, so you can turn it over and do the other side, without needing to reset the parameters all over again.
    Once you get your head around it, it is, quite easy. :)
    You may need to give some thought with regard to the height of the Z axis. Although, I don't know how much space, from work table to router bit, you will need.
    In fact the machine could be used for many parts of a guitar including the neck.
    We have a couple of members who are into guitar manufacture, and I'm sure they would be more than helpful with any problems you may have.
    Go for it!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. Moag

Moag Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

G'day @Edadmartin what is the limitations of your table space mate?

5. Moag

Moag Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

After doing a quick mock up on the design I'm working on to see if your guitar blank would fit on it and it won't (see below); I would head towards a machine setup like the one Rick and GrayUK suggested with a 500mm X Axis and 1000mm Y axis should get you there :thumbsup:

Frame C-BeamXL-S01-low v1-01.png

6. Barry Danks

Barry Danks Well-Known
    Builder

@Edadmartin
    I've built many machines over the years. I'd be happy to help design something for you

7. Julius

Julius Well-Known
    Builder