Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Big Bertha: My own build of the Stainless Ox, 1500 x 1200mm

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Brittany, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Brittany

Brittany New
    Builder

Hi. I'm Brittany. I'm 23 and live in England.

I haven't done much yet. I just bought a bunch of stuff, but it feels like the bulk load of the work was in buying things, because it took a long time to figure out how everything went together and what to buy. I went with the Stainless Ox because I believe that for the cost, I'll get the best option for repeatability over a large surface area, which is imperative as my average builds will be 840 x 840mm.

This is what I'm aiming for:
    - Kress 1050 Spindle w/ 3 Amp NEMA23's
    - 1500 x 1200mm total area
    - Standard Mach3 control system with cheap Chinese parallel breakout controller
    - Waste filtration system with dust gathered by vacuum bag, and heavier particulate gathers in bucket

I want to use my CNC Router to build dance platforms. This is a sample of my earlier work if you're interested.

I have designed a cheaper to manufacture, structurally sound system, and need a CNC Router to test my ideas, and to make some final tweaks before building the platforms myself.

So far I have built a table. Everyone say hi to my table.

[​IMG]

When I'm done, I would like to call my CNC Router by the name Bertha. I hope you all like Bertha when she is done. Thank you for reading my stupid thread.

JimJ, GrayUK, Gary Caruso and 3 others like this.
  2. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

Hi Brittany
    I love to see younger people getting into the hobby!!!!
    Can't wait to see your progress!!!
    I bet you will bring some cool ideas to the group.
    have fun ask many questions.
    Bob

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Table! and Brittany..

Looking forward to the build and seeing the platform designs.
    Gary

4. Brittany

Brittany New
    Builder

Today I completed the gantry assembly. (Quickly put on the back rail after the video was over, lol).

Quite a learning experience. Building the Y frame should hopefully be a little less effort, and I'm hoping to be doing my calibration by next Friday.

I've spent a lot of my time learning the specifics of machining. Speeds, feeds, choice of bits, among other things. After this is done, all I need to do is learn to design things, haha! I'm very excited. This is a very involved hobby that I'm glad I've started. :)

GrayUK likes this.
  5. Brittany

Brittany New
    Builder

[​IMG]

Mechanical portion complete, other than the cable tracks and the supports for the spoilboard.

I don't have much room, so I imagine I will be standing on the table during the wiring portion.

JimJ and Joe Santarsiero like this.
  6. Brittany

Brittany New
    Builder

Good news. I have completed wiring. The control board is all set up and ready, and so is the Mach3 software. I have a 'bumping' noise when I execute G code to move the Z axis. I suppose that is because the leadscrew is misaligned in some way. Probably an easy fix anyway.

All I have left is to:
    - Calibrate the axes and spend time testing to make sure everything is nice and square
    - Secure my base and spoil board, level the spoil board and get some tee nuts in it
    - Cut some basic clamps that I can use
    - Run an overhead vacuum for my waste filtration system / get some sort of good dust shoe (maybe 3D printed?)
    - And purchase some good quality collets and bits for my projects

Once I'm done with that, I think I will have a pretty good quality CNC Router ready to run. It's starting to feel like I'm through most of the work for this machine. It's been an incredible thing to learn. I hope that machining is something that I will pick up on well, and will be able to make many cool things.

I will have to take some pictures of this setup. It's not very well organized, and I should change some of the messy work I have done. But it works.

7. Brittany

Brittany New
    Builder

Update. Been a couple months, I've been busy.

I'm gonna level the spoil board later today. Everything seems to be running nice. I'm finding that I have some dimensional issues when I cut MDF, with accuracy of +/- 1mm, perhaps it's because of the feedrate. Nonetheless, cutting acrylic leads to... more acceptable results:

[​IMG]

I mean, hey, it'll do.

I have to figure out exactly how I'm going to mount my dust hose, as I don't have a lot of room. Everything seems to be going very well, and I couldn't be happier with the system. Big thanks to Martin for all his help. He's been very helpful in spite of my inexperience, and very frequent questions.