Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Anti-Backlash Nut Block (STEP) v0.1

Anti-Backlash Nut Block / STP

1. ymilord

ymilord Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

ymilord submitted a new resource:

Anti-Backlash Nut Block (STEP) - Anti-Backlash Nut Block / STP

Read more about this resource...

2. Khaled El Nazer

Builder

I bought 3 8mm anti backlash nuts from this store for 3 8mm acme 2mm pitch 8mm lead screws I had from somewhere else. For some reason The lead screws do not fit into the anti back slash nuts. I tried knocking them down a bit with sand paper to no satisfaction. Here is the link to the Lead screws I bought Stainless Lead Screw with Nut ( 8mm x 1000mm)
    Please note I am new to this.
    Any help would be appreciated

3. Brandoneous

Builder

Noob question I'm sure, but I've built a 1000 mm lead screw linear actuator bundle and the lead screw likes to bow a lot and shimmy as I push the trolley back and forth. Not hooked up to anything. Should I assume that my lead screw is too loose? any advice from those who have reached this place before me?

I have the backlash nut in there and follow the instructions from the video, but what am I missing?

4. Dan Lee

Dan Lee New
    Builder

What is the adjustment process for the nut block, I am getting a shimmy on my Z axcess.

5. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

The Anti Backlash nut should be in its natural relaxed state, and be absolutely square to the screw, before inserting the screw.
    Once you have the screw in a reasonable amount it is time to adjust the block.
    The principle is for the block to be tight to both sides of the thread and thereby remove any play.
    You adjust the grub screw just enough for it to open the slot a small amount and thereby take out any play you might have had.
    Remember, the nut is probably going to be quite tight to start with, and therefore very little if any adjustment may be needed initially.
    But, as your screw settles in, there may be a need to re-adjust the backlash screw.
    You can help yourself with this problem if you connect a drill to one end of the screw and run it up and down several times to bed the screw in.
    If you initially get bowing on a 1000mm screw, this could just be that the screw is tight, to begin with, and should get better with use.

MaryD and Dan Lee like this.