Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3D Printer X axis

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by antonyking, Jan 6, 2017.

1. antonyking

Builder

Sorry if this has been asked.

I am building a Cartesian 3D printer with a Heated bed 500x500mm from Wombot. I will use the C-Beam Linear Actuator Bundle for the Z axis but after some thinking I was thinking about using the Lead Screw Bundles for the X and Y axis.

I understand I can use a lighter belt X axis but I have read that the Lead screw setup should be more accurate? Is this correct?

I am thinking about 700mm for X axis.

So to my Question:

If I use the Linear Actuator Bundle Lead Screw for the X axis... other than the weight, is there any negative reason not to?

Antony

2. antonyking

Builder

I found My C-Beam 3D Printer which basically shows he has built something that seems to work.

I'd still be up for any opinions about what I am asking above... especially the Openbuilds linear screw kits v Belt kits.

Antony

3. antonyking

Builder

Due to the size of Heated Bed being 500x500 and weighs almost 3kg on it's own, plus a gantry plate and 3mm Boroglass etc. I am going for a belted Y axis on Linear Rails spread I guess at least 300mm apart.

I will try a C-beam with lead screw for the X axis mainly out of getting it done quick but also as a comparison as I can convert the lead screw to a belt easy enough after.

4. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

I'd go the other way around if you want to use belts somewhere. The Y-axis will be far heavier than the X, and as a result will experience more belt stretch, backlash, and ringing from moving that big lump of a build platform around. With a leadscrew setup, you will have virtually no backlash. The X-axis can be belt as it is far lighter.

5. antonyking

Builder

Yeah good points. I am waiting to get parts but from what I odered I am pretty flexible with how I do it. Setting up a lead screw might just be wise.